Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dogs and why?  (Read 17238 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: What dogs and why?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »
Yes most work. Our newest, the collie, will save me calling on a neighbour to dog my small flock of sheep! It's a long time since I had a collie and with my first I didn't have sheep. I had forgotton just how much they watch you, even at that young age to see what you might want next.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41:57 pm »
Gwen

Finn

Twig

Bree

Cant find any recent photos of the old terrier or the cocker, but ill try to dig some up later.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 10:52:27 pm »
Finn

Are you aware your dog appears to be the Egyptian god of death?
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 10:55:56 pm »
Anubis. . . . . he does bear a striking resemblance. . . . . and it would be a very very apt comparison to be fair!

He's six now, and has travelled all over the country with me, and has filled many freezers a long the way!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:23 pm »
Anubis. . . . . he does bear a striking resemblance. . . . . and it would be a very very apt comparison to be fair!

He's six now, and has travelled all over the country with me, and has filled many freezers a long the way!

Death and also lurv... ?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »
Aye Finns definatly a lover and a fighter. .. . .

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 11:49:43 pm »
Irish Terriers - Erin and Willow - mum and daughter - companions - OH family had them over 45 years - They are described by an old Irish writer as being the poor man's sentinel, the farmer's friend, and the gentleman's favourite. Ideal family pet - good smallholding dog

Irish Water Spaniel - Duana - OH allergic to lots of other breeds so suited coat - very cute, bit of a handful - more so than the terriers but lovely never the less. Loves dykes - not so good with the stock as the terriers

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 08:37:13 am »
I keep red welsh and have done for over 12 years. First dog was a border, kept her as a pet. The reason I bought my red welsh is that I loved the look of them and their ability in thinking for themselves when rounding up sheep. I got a beardie last year which is more of a guard dog than a sheep rounder upper, but she's still eager to learn so I'll teach her.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41:08 am »
Reduced now to....
1 ancient Greyhound
1 ditto Ibizan
6 middle-aged whippets
1 young pug
1 ancient tiny Yorkie

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 03:12:01 pm »
In my young days when first married I started with Irish Setters a breed I adore. After losing two to cancer I then became the owner of a German Shepherd. over the years I had 4 more all taught to work. I also had the Jack Russell and now we have a Border Collie and a cross bred collie.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »
We've 3 show cockers (an orange roan, a blue roan & a black & tan) we've also got a young rescue lurcher I bought off Facebook for £40.
We wanted a family dog so after lots of research we got our first cocker Holly (she's not long had her second litter - photo attached, off to new homes next week  :'( I'm going to miss them so much) I do a bit of showing at companion shows and love them all to bits.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »
Oh N&C....orange roan cocker ( sigh)...Id love one.

But next time we get a dog Ive been promised a Clumber spaniel  :love:
Is it time to retire yet?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »
We have a Murphy.  Mum was a terrier of some sort. Dad unknown.    He has a natural herding instinct and has been on several training courses, he's also a perfect family pet. Would love to know what his Dad was though!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 07:08:58 am »
I needed an easy dog due to parents agging problems taking up my time so when my GSD died I got a retired racing greyhound, then a second...

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »
In my young days when first married I started with Irish Setters a breed I adore. After losing two to cancer I then became the owner of a German Shepherd. over the years I had 4 more all taught to work. I also had the Jack Russell and now we have a Border Collie and a cross bred collie.

I really want an Irish Setter next.. Gorgeous dogs :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS