Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clumsy Pig  (Read 1918 times)

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Clumsy Pig
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:45 pm »
Hello,

My beloved sow Belle has been worrying me a bit the past couple of days. When we have gone to feed her yesterday dinner, today breakfast and today dinner, she has walked into her house and struggled to find the food. Its like she is a bit disorientated.

Now we have been pretty sure for quite a while that Belle cant see. She is a big Large Black and I suspect she just lost her sight because her eyes are so covered. We have also been wondering recently if she is getting a bit hard of hearing too as she doesn't notice you quite as quickly. Having said all that, she never walks into her fence or anything and the issue with the house has come on suddenly. It has always been in there.

The only disorientation I have had before was with a salt poisoning case years ago but that was a much more dramatic affair. She is still eating and drinking as normal and lazing around in her hay which is basically her only pastime!

Any help would be much appreciated as she is the one girl I am sentimental about  :fc:

Rebecca

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Clumsy Pig
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »
p.s. When I say she walked into her house I mean as in crashed into not went into!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:15 am »
Could you test her eyes with a little torch, see if the pupils react to the light?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:52:13 am »
It maybe eyesight but it could be an ear infection. Does she hold her head over to one side?

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:16:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I will have a look at her eyes but as I say, pretty sure she hasn't been using them for a good while now!

Definitely a good shout on the ear infection. Not noticed her holding her head strangely but then I was distracted by her crashing into her house. If I go down and have a look in her ears, what is it I am expecting to see? Obvious gunk?

:pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:30:12 pm »
I don't know about pig ears but my dog is plagued with ear problems. He keeps shaking his head and holds it to one side. I put drops in his ears and massage them in for a few seconds.
There is no obvious signs of a problem, other than that the ear inside looks much redder than the other one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:15:22 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:43 pm »
There might also be a bad smell from the ear  :pig:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS