Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Resources and requirements for pigs please  (Read 3108 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Resources and requirements for pigs please
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:00 am »
As I already breed sheep and chickens I have a cph number and flock and heard numbers. I also get a great deal of information and support from EBLEX (as was) NADIS, SCOPS etc. My holding register was supplied by Defra and I design my own flock health plan and medicines record on my computer.

Are their and additional registration requirements for pigs and equivalent resources? Any recommendations for sources of info on health, management and recognizing ailments?

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: Resources and requirements for pigs please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:00:39 am »
You will need to get a seperate herd number for pigs, in the UK it's two letters followed by four numbers.

Sources of info on health, management and illness recognition - accidental smallholder website!  ;D

There are some great books on keeping pigs out there, maybe try a course too? Once you get past the basic issues that come with pigs, there's not actually much knowledge IMO, most vets will put a pig to sleep rather than spend money on trying to make them better - after all a weaner is worth about £6, bit less than the cost of cattle!
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:02 am »
A good book (like ours!) or a course would be great.

Our one day course and book cover

•How much space do I need, what about housing, what sort of fencing?
•What equipment do I need?
•What can I feed, how much, what will it cost ?
•Where do I buy stock from, what to buy, how much should I pay ?
•What are the UK regulations I need to follow?
•How easy is it to breed and what’s involved ?
•How do I keep them fit and healthy ?
•How do I find an abattoir and a butcher ?
•What meat do I get, how much, what can I do with it?
 and much more

We have spaces on our August courses on either Saturday the 15th August or Sunday the 16th, so you could go away armed with all the info you need and confidence to set up !

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/courses/
http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/perfect-pigs-book/

Many from your part of the country make a weekend of it, and stay locally to spend the other day in either London, or the South Coast, or locally on the famous South Downs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:52:54 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:56 am »
Pig Keeping by Richard Lutwyche (published by the National Trust) is a good, basic guide.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:11:34 pm »
Perhaps join the British Pig Association, various levels of membership, quarterly magazine and lots of info.

url: www.britishpigs.org.uk

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »
A sense of humour and running shoes.  Pigs are fab.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:06:11 am »
Well I hope the pigs have a sense of humor when she see my home made pig shelter fashioned from a selection of panels that once used to be a dog shed and run.

I have just finished creosoting it and fitting roofing felt so it should be sturdy, shady and dry.

Just trying to decide if I should customise it with a bit of decorative art work.....

:thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS