Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: barn emptying.  (Read 1888 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
barn emptying.
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
Bit of a question to see what the general consensus is. We had a barn emptied here that we overwintered horses and at times sheep in. Must have been 3 foot of muck in the end. Before we put them in there the floor was covered in a good foot of old straw, hay, mud etc. Anyway, we got someone in to empty the barn, and in doing so they split the tyre on whatever they were using. Guessing a bobcat or something similar since the doorway is pretty small. The tyre was split on tin roofing sheets which had been used by someone in the past to cover the earth floor. We obviously didn't know they were there as we certainly wouldn't have put the horses in as it could have been pretty lethal.
My feeling is that we are going to get the bill for the tyre(s) which to be honest I have no idea how much it will be. If we do, we will pay it just to avoid hassle, but part of me thinks the landlord should be the one doing so. My question is who would people expect to foot the bill for that?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: barn emptying.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:51:52 pm »
Not quite sure why you put stock in there when there was a foot of muck left over from previous occupants... a potential health hazard I would have thought.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:55:41 pm »
On who should pay - could you have a friendly chat with the landlord, lead him to agree with you that it couldn't be your tin sheets, and see if he suggests splitting the bill?  Otherwise yes I guess you would be stuck with it.

Just goes to show why you would want to clear the floor before you start with your own stock.  As you say, it could have injured your stock.   :o  At least it's only cost you money  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
beem their before - and its your responsibility in many ways - you should have done due dilligence and checked the place over before doing anything for your animals sake - When I was renting I always went over with a fine tooth comb, had too many accidents with horns stuck in rails, barbed wire in places it shouldnt be, embedded in the floor etc - so Personally id cough up, and remember to always always check everything over.

Then again the landlord also has some responsibility, IF they KNEW the sheets were their they should of told you, that said if a previous tennent left them and they didnt know - they are not really to blame are they?

Bet to see what happens - if the tires were nearly worn out, you may find your contractor doesnt chase, or just asks for a contribution - if they were new,. well If I was the driver Id expect at least something.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS