Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Diy chicken shelter ideas?  (Read 11011 times)

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
Diy chicken shelter ideas?
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »
I've got 4 chickens who I let out to free range through the day but overnight I keep them in a secure pen with a small coop. Trouble is when it's raining on an evening but before bedtime they just stand in the pen getting soaked. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing? And I wondered if I could make an easy shelter they could hang out under ? Any ideas?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Diy chicken shelter ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »
I made mine a sort of felted coffee table where I last lived-worked really well and they used it-its a good idea to build a perch underneath too so they aren't standing in the wet, or put a pallet down for them.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:14 pm »
My coop has an overhang to keep the food dry and the coop is on stilts so they all congregate underit when its wet.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:13:25 pm »
When ours had a run I made a sort of tent thing the hens could get out of the wind, rain and mud. This area was henceforth known as Glastonbury!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
My OH made a 3 sided shelter with a slightly sloping roof - it was at the time when we didn't have quite so many hens.  We have 20 now and they all cram in there like sardines - they love it.  We call it The Clubhouse - it keeps them out of the wind and the rain and it only took a couple of hours to make.  ;D

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:22 pm »
Mine have a sheet of corrugated metal on it's side propped up. Cockerel loves it in particular. He also loves a large dustbin lid propped up with a stick. He is a bit special...
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:22 am »
I've got 4 chickens who I let out to free range through the day but overnight I keep them in a secure pen with a small coop. Trouble is when it's raining on an evening but before bedtime they just stand in the pen getting soaked. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing? And I wondered if I could make an easy shelter they could hang out under ? Any ideas?

Got a spare wheelie bin? lie it on its front with a slight slope towards the front so the water doesn't run it and prop the lid up.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:38 am »
I have rainproof areas made from pallets, tarpaulins, galv., twinwall polycarbonate, old puppy panels, old fireguards and external ply, held together and in place with baler twine, rocks, bricks and the side of something bigger.  Yes, I think I must have been a Master Builder in a shanty town in a former life.  The chickens don't mind what it looks like and you can use them as an excuse to cancel the House & Garden photo shoot.  Get creative!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 11:22:28 am »
I also have an old, galvanised dustbin, laid dow with a pole underneath to stop it rolling. The chickens did love it but the ducks have adopted it now :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 11:26:53 am »
At one point we did a trial on table birds - 700 of them from day old to 13 weeks, free range.  We had a huge barn for them at night, and the entrance to that was just as big with the big double doors open during the day for them to roam in half an acre.  When they were about 10 weeks old a snowstorm came on suddenly followed by a freezing snap while we were in town getting groceries.  By the time we came back they were all inside except 10 of them who were huddled against an east facing corner - would have been sheltered but for the direction.  They were all stone cold dead! :'(

You may have to train them to use the shelter.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
I use 2 pallets leant together with the top wired together and some hazel pegs at the base to stop them sliding out. Then cover with any old OSB or offcuts of ply. 1 sheet of OSB costs about £8 and will cover the whole thing.

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:50 pm »
Hi,

Could you buy the feed in plastic bags (20-25kg) and put the bags over the pen.

Dave

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:22 pm »
you can also buy clear tarps and cable tie them onto the pen-have done that before but am too exposed here :) saves ground getting bog like as well.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:01 pm »
My first shelter was a very pretty thing from a chicken website. Looked a bit like a posh mini bus stop with perches. They should hang out and drink dodgy cider there - that sort of thing. But chickens being as they are they ignored it the buggers, even when it was chucking it down and when I tried moving it around. My friend who was helping whilst I had an operation then built them a pagoda sort of thing out of spare bits of wood and they love it. Lesson learned.  ????

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:02 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. I'd like a roof over the full shelter but to be honest it's beyond my capabilities at the moment lol I think I'll try and make the pallet or table idea and maybe attach it or make two so I can have one on the front of the coop

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS