Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Essential equipment for starting up  (Read 12705 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Essential equipment for starting up
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:06 am »
That's a good point pharnorth, I've found our wheeled hay rack invaluable and well worth the money to buy, much less wasted hay!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »
Probably not for a small handful of sheep.. . . . but . . . . .

Trailer
Hurdles
Crook.
Dog.
Drenching gun
Auto injector gun
Flyspray gun.
Plastic gloves
Knife
Bailer Twine
Sense of humour.

Thats whats in my essential kit though. The two most useful day to day being dog and crook!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »
I find a crook essential for catching sheep, if lambing them then rubber rings are in order too, tail applicators for the rubber rings and applicators for ear tagging the lambs. A medicine book or flock book is essential, not only for writing down the dates on which the lambs were born, but also for what medicines they have been given and when and the name of it. Etc, etc. Keeping sheep is a joy and even better when you see them have their lambs.
All the best  :thumbsup:
If you don't mind me asking what breed of sheep are they?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys and girls.

I think I'll be going for Jacobs to begin with - mainly because I know the past person who lived here had them and they lived to a ripe old age - and probably without much looking after, as she was always away on holiday. Ours however will have as much looking after as they need!

I'm not planning to be breeding any just yet - I'd just like to get the essential husbandry established before adding the complications of lambing, as I'm new to sheep. I can probably help out with some of my neighbours during lambing next year to get some experience there.

Just ONE more thing - do you all use dogs for your flocks - I know I'm only getting a couple, but was just curious really. I have a quad and a pony and a family who will be happy to help with rounding up (pony is used to larger quarry though - I used to use him on New Forest Pony drifts and cattle round ups in the New Forest, but I'm sure he'll be happy to lend his skills to sheep herding!).
I also have a collie who is able to round the geese up and put them away into their house of an evening - maybe she'll manage sheep, we'll see!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »
I would think you have the ingredients for a good sheep-herding team there! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »

Just ONE more thing - do you all use dogs for your flocks - I know I'm only getting a couple, but was just curious really. I have a quad and a pony and a family who will be happy to help with rounding up (pony is used to larger quarry though - I used to use him on New Forest Pony drifts and cattle round ups in the New Forest, but I'm sure he'll be happy to lend his skills to sheep herding!).
I also have a collie who is able to round the geese up and put them away into their house of an evening - maybe she'll manage sheep, we'll see!
I have 6 sheep and my dog is afraid of sheep so we don't use one. If you only have a few you should find the bucket (whatever colour) works once they get used to you.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »
I have 4 children they are getting better at being used instead of sheep dogs...

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 06:24:35 pm »
My one husband is doing a pretty good sheepdog impression too  ;D
Is it time to retire yet?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »
Sixteen sheep and a bucket works a treat.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 08:24:56 am »
I've used a sheepdog for the past 12 years, i have red welsh, now though ave got my beardie as well as my old welsh sheepdog. My reckoning is a dog is not only for rounding up sheep and cows, but its there for companionship and for keeping you sane when things go not according to plan. I have over 90 sheep, so a dog is essential.  :) also it saves me running around like a mad idiot and embarrassing myself in front of the neighbours :roflanim:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:29:12 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »
I have about 50 sheep at the moment (including weaned lambs) and don't have a dog or a quad. Shank's Pony and an electric net is all I use to round them up.

Whats all this feed bucket malarky? Don't your sheep eat grass? LOL! :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS