Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Essential equipment for starting up  (Read 12697 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Essential equipment for starting up
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:46:44 pm »
Definitely re-usable drenching syringe - you can use for all sorts from wormer to flukicide, to bloat remedy etc etc. With an added needle set-up also good for injecting Calciject... but I digress, you may not want to breed.

Orange buckets here for rattling food.

some sturdy water buckets (larger than average size, the ones you get in building merchants are better) for water troughs in field, unless you have already a setup in-situ.

A halter rope, so you can securely tie a sheep up when needing to dag/clip on your own.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:58 pm »
The worming gun and vaccination guns I got are by far the best things ever in terms of benefit to sheep vs cost, that was with 22 to do though...

Oh and baler twine is a rare commodity if hay turns up in round bales, the net just isn't as useful...

Mine are bribed with oatcakes... But this is reasonable in Scotland :-D

I don't drink but occasionally my sheep have left me questioning that decision...

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
I must admit the injecting gun I got this year is so much easier than injecting with syringes, and now I have 21 sheep I was thinking of getting a drench gun when I next drench, but I tend to start things with basic equipment and upgrade as I go along - makes for a less intimidating startup bill.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 10:34:23 pm »
Hurdles... plenty.. no matter how many you have you will always need one or two more :innocent: .  They can be used for pens, raceways, cornering the little so and so's.  Mending the hole in the fence that wasn't there yesterday and the one that will appear tomorrow.
We have many colours of buckets here... yellow does appear to bring them running quicker.
Big pockets to put the digestives/nuts/apples etc.
The ability to catch in mid-air jumping sheep.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:59 pm »
You all forgot the essential: a Wynn. He's one of the sheep farmers that's a weekend regular down t'pub... a couple of years ago I put my hands in my pocket for a round and asked if they knew a shearer. They asked how many hundred i had. Once they'd stopped laughing about my 6 sheep Wynn offered to pop round and do them and wouldn't take money.. and brought his lad to help catch them (I herd them between gates on the bridge over the stream). He's let me pick up frozen colostrum from him early one Sunday morning and he was happy to shear them again this year. This year he let me give him a  bottle of whisky. And he's on a promise for next year.
Everyone needs a Wynn

Oh, and you can't have enough buckets. I go to B&Q about 2-3 times a year and always get another three of their bright orange ones - you can always drill holes in the bottom and use them as flower pots..

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:16 am »
Definitely re-usable drenching syringe - you can use for all sorts from wormer to flukicide, to bloat remedy etc etc. With an added needle set-up also good for injecting Calciject... but I digress, you may not want to breed.

Orange buckets here for rattling food.

some sturdy water buckets (larger than average size, the ones you get in building merchants are better) for water troughs in field, unless you have already a setup in-situ.

A halter rope, so you can securely tie a sheep up when needing to dag/clip on your own.
I have a reusable drencher syringe too. I think its great and not too expensive.
As for the halter, we use bailer twine (yes it really is essential stuff  ;D ). Get 3 bits of twine and plait it. Then you have a sturdy 'rope' usable for most things. We put ours round a post and put the girls heads in it (Tim Tyne suggests using a car fan belt but we didn't have one of those so improvised)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:29 am »
A hookover hayrack if you get deep snow.  A good set of waterproofs and one of those stylish waterproof trapper hats with earflaps and a peak, and warm, waterproof boots - Muck Boots, Bekina Pur, etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 11:48:54 am »
warm, waterproof boots - Muck Boots, Bekina Pur, etc.

Or any boots with great grip (^) and some knitted woollen welly slippers :)

(^) I use use Dunlop Purofort - excellent grip, light as a feather and last really well.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 03:01:33 pm »
And a cuddly toy

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »
First thing...sturdy fencing (which I don't have!)
A good pair of binoculars for scanning the neighbours fields for runaway sheep.
As said, a large amount of digestive biscuits
A good pair of lungs to shout "Sheeeeep sheeeeeep"
And definitely a YELLOW bucket ;D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 04:12:15 pm »
BLUE buckets (the unbreakable sort - ideally these: http://www.bucketsltp.co.uk/LT_Range.html)

Patience.  :)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »
Oh dear- I have a pink scoop, no bucket (4 primitive sheep, feed is purely for politeness!). Best get shopping.

I also recommend a flock of about 10 teenagers to walk the sheep into the corner you want to pen them into- you can shout at them when you feel like shouting at the sheep! (I am kidding- my classes are very good little shepherds)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »
Oh poor Tamsjute its a great thread of responses but whether it helps you prioritise I am not so sure.  I got my first 5 sheep last year and found the first things I used were a few hurdles, feed trough, wheeled hay feeder, buckets, syringe for worming, foot shears that I also use for dagging. For lambing, Tim Tyne's book and a ' lambing kit'. Probably over the top on the lambing stuff but I was paranoid about not being prepared. And a scary book on Lambing Techniques on the basis the more you scare yourself the less likely it is to happen.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:15 pm »
Very useful  :thumbsup:

Agree yellow buckets as then they will match my eglu/s (and maybe beehaus)  :roflanim: :roflanim: I know you can get wood things cheaper but I luuurve me my yellow eglus  :love:

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 08:05:03 am »
Plastic feed bag for rattling here. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS