Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryeland lambs  (Read 3371 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Ryeland lambs
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:47:11 pm »
It is with a heavy heart that I am looking to sell two of my beautiful girl lambs  :raining: The land we have is not enough to support too many sheep and we have decided to use their dad for another year and have nowhere to separate them off. The boys are going in the freezer, but it seems wrong to eat girl lambs (call me daft!) and 2 lambs in the freezer should be plenty for us.
Phoebe and Ruby (that's what you get for letting your 4 year old niece name lambs!) were born on the 24th March. They are not registered as their mum wasn't registered. Their Dad is. I don't really want them going to market but thought they might make someone nice lawn mowers etc.
How much would one expect to pay for a non registered Ryleland ewe lamb?
Sorry, I don't seem to have a recent piccie of them. This was them at the beginning of June.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Ryeland lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »
Here is an idea of what people are charging for em.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list?keyword=ryeland%20lambs
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »
where are you based? I may be interested in them as breeding ewes - they would be run with hebrideans, castlemilks - 2-3 pedigree texels and occasionaly comercial mules when I let flocks mix (usually allow them to mix in winter for easier feeding.

Kept on semi-organic holding and grazed lightly on low stocking (2-3 acre)

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »
I'm interested,  i have 14 Ryeland ewes,  a mixture of registered and non and am looking to expand my Ryeland flock.

They must know this as out of all the lambs they had this year,  only three were girls!

Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:36:22 am »
Coximus, Deere, I have PM'd you.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »
jm it looks like you are sorted but if not you could try the rare breed auction at York Auction Centre in Oct. They look lovely but unregistered dont tend to fetch that much. Less than I sell mine for as butchered lamb to be fair.

Not sure if they have to be registered of not for the rare breed sales? :thinking:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 12:04:09 pm »
Thanks Buffy. Looks as though they have found a happy new home thanks. I am too soft and would rather not put them though sales.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
No I don't blame you. Glad you found good homes for them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS