Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what are we getting wrong?  (Read 3338 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
what are we getting wrong?
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:03 pm »
Just looking for a bit of advice.....
This is our third year keeping pigs, and in the first year we had lovely livers back.  Second year, we were told that the livers had milk spot.  This year, despite knowing (very reliably) the weaners had been wormed prior to our collection, and despite them being on clean ground, at six months we were told again that the livers had milk spot.  Having delighted in the most lovely liver pates in year one, we are missing this 'added extra'.  Any ideas on what we can do next year to make sure this doesn't repeat....?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: what are we getting wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's a common issue with pig's livers.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:41 am »
Have you considered. What you're worming with? Is it always the same product? Don't know masses about the intricacies of pig worming but if it were a horse with a specific issue you would be looking to target your worming programme appropriately.

Just an idea  ???

Rebecca

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:36:33 am »
Things I would consider as a vet:
Have the sows/piglets been wormed on the breeding farm before you purchase?
Are the wormers being given correctly - correct dose for heaviest pig, route, not being injected into the air or not eaten, etc?
Is there resistance?
Have you given faeces samples to your vet pre and post worming to make sure the wormer you use is effective, and at intervals to make sure they're not getting a very heavy burden before being wormed again?
I would discuss these things with your vet and hopefully you will be able to improve the situation.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:43 pm »
You say they were wormed before you collected them but did you see them wormed, what with and what dose? Is that the only worming they got? Are the sows wormed? Clearly the worming they have had has been insufficient. Did you worm again?

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »
Thanks all.  I feel that we will be much better prepared next year.  Will test, and re-worm if necessary.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:33 pm »
I would also ask to see them if the abbatoir is small, I used one, admittedly a few years ago now, they always said that and then we found out they were being sold on . I'm not saying that is the case with yours but I always wonder when bits aren't returned.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:38 am »
I should say its down to the lack of worming in either or both sow and litter.

If you think its down to the slaughter house you can ask to see if you don't get it electronically a FSA killing report it will point out any problems found at slaughter.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS