Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fly bite  (Read 1372 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
fly bite
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:20:44 pm »
HI
one of my goats seems to have been bitten by a fly on her teat about 2 weeks ago, there is still a lump there, and it sometimes bleeds a little when I milk her, could be painful as I milk her and she isn't as keen to jump onto milking bench.
Her kids are with her during the day, I think they are still feeding off her occasionally, but unless I keep her or them in while the others are out, I can't seperate them.
I have been putting savlon on after milking, but the skin on that teat feels dry and rough, does Savlon cause this? wondering whether to put Savlon on then udder cream a little later.
Any advice please? Should I have taken her to the vet for a fly bite?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: fly bite
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:33:10 pm »
an antiseptic wipe/wash on the teat? I had a similar issue with one last year and her kid took one sook on the teat and bailed out  ;D and follow up with udder cream which should act as a barrier
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: fly bite
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:21:50 am »
an antiseptic wipe/wash on the teat? // and follow up with udder cream which should act as a barrier
Thanks, never thought of that

her kid took one sook on the teat and bailed out  ;D

;D  I often think we should have an emoty-thing called 'YUK'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS