Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beginner advice  (Read 4788 times)

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Beginner advice
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:22 am »
Hi guys, it's time for the next enterprise.
We are off to see our first Dexters tomorrow. We are hoping to buy 2 cows with calves at foot.
Any advise on buying for beginners would be great!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Beginner advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:55 pm »
If, as I'm presuming, you're new to cattle, It makes things so much easier if the animals are quiet and well handled.
My first Dexters were bought off a local breeder and they were very tame and halter trained. Dexters can have small animal syndrome and can be very awkward. It is therefore so much better to have one you can go up to in the field, and maybe put a halter on to lead where you want, or that at least will follow you for food.
I once went to look at some and the chap selling them kept a stick near the gateway which he picked up before entering the field. He assured us that you should never enter a field of cattle without carrying a stick. Well all our cattle are happy for us to go up to them and talk to them and I certainly wouldn't expect to have to beat them off with a stick! Needless to say, we didn't buy any off him.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:50 pm »
Paulie,

Having had Dexters before, Landroverroy has got it spot on.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:06 pm »
We got our first Dexters earlier this month, cows with calves

Have to say I've found a soft spot for the cattle! Specially the calves, very cute!  :love:

Advice - join the dexter society!
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:33:37 pm »
 Thanks guys, other than choosing friendly cows what should I look for? What's a good age and what's a little old? What's your take on short and non short all the reading I've done seems to suggest avoiding short.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:17 pm »
Avoiding short makes mating easier.  I have mine AI'd.    Yes definitely get tamed ones ... Dexters are lively and can be quite a handful unless bucket/halter trained.   I would go for tameness over age.  between 3 and 5 years would be good. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:52 pm »
Depends where you live but there is lots of paperwork and regulations with cattle, especially to do with disease - TB, BVD in Scotland. Ask about health status.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:18 pm »
Thanks for all your advise guys, I've got two little lady's and calves coming home in the morning.  :excited: :cow:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:30:02 pm »
Oh wow!  Pictures at your earliest convenience, please  :eyelashes:

And are these Shetlands?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45:23 am »
They're here  :excited: they are bucket trained and we have them eating out of our hand already!
The cows are 6 and 8 yrs old which is older than I had planned but they should have plenty of yrs in them yet.
The calves are 1 steer 3weeks and 1 heifer 3 months.

Now I have to get a handling system in place and think about getting the back in calf.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:32 am »
 :love:  :cow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS