Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very shy hens...  (Read 1734 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Very shy hens...
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:32:37 pm »
Took delivery of my first pair of pullets a few days ago. They're Marans, from a very reputable supplier. I'm finding them extremely shy and quiet, and starting to wonder if they'll come out their shells at all? They seem to basically stay in the same place all day. I have them in a portable ark/run and they spend almost all of their time in the house, no sign of them venturing out into the run at all. Is this normal?!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Very shy hens...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:31:52 pm »
Did they go outside at the breeders?
Do they have to navigate steps or a steep pophole access to get out from the house?
Is there something which might be frightening them - a dog, say - which they can see near their house?
Where are they fed and watered, inside or out?

As you have had them for just a few days, give them more time to get used to their new home.  Once they have had time to settle in, try giving them a little grain treat outside in the afternoon.
They sound to me like birds which are not used to going outside at all, so they are bound to take longer before they are happy to go out than pullets which are already free ranging.  :chook: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 06:46:29 am »
I think it is unusual. When I move birds around they are inquisitive and explore their new surroundings quite quickly - within hours I would say.
 What do they look like while they are standing?  Is it a hunched, tail down position because that can be a sign of illness.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:27 am »
Agree re whether they look ill.
OR....have they come from a much bigger flock? if they are young pullets who find themselves on their own for the 1st time I think they can be forgiven for being a bit overwhelmed yet. Are they very young?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:40:47 pm by Kimbo »
Is it time to retire yet?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:28:50 pm »
I had this with my faverolles, I bought them at 6 weeks and they were huge, they got used to me and to being fed in their run. Its only since they started laying they have become very friendly and when I call them they come running. I would say give them time to get used to their surroundings and sure enough you will all build up a bond which will last them their whole life.
All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I think perhaps it's just the birds adapting to the move from a big flock to being a pair. I've just popped them into my back garden which is securely fenced, and they seem a bit more enthusiastic now. I have some geese in there too, maybe that will add some entertainment for them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS