Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys and chickens  (Read 2454 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
Turkeys and chickens
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:36 pm »
We are thinking about getting 2 turkeys this year, buying them as weaned chicks and then having them for Christmas. We also have 17 chickens that have a run and shed for night times and have free range of about 1 acre daytimes. That gives them lots of entertainment but means there is chicken poo around. I know turkeys shouldn't live with chickens,  so the plan is to give the turkeys a small ish run and their own shed at night. But daytimes we want the turkeys to have free range as per the chickens. Is there a risk of the turkeys getting sick from a relatively small amount of chicken poo from the field? As always thank you for the advice and replies in advance.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Turkeys and chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »
Hi,

I have just acquired my first turkeys having bred chickens for years. My understanding is that they can suffer from blackhead if you put them on pasture that chickens have been on so on that basis any poo is bad poo. But I have also read that blackhead ( which is transmitted via the parasites in chicken poo) is only a problem if the chickens are not wormed. I worm mine every couple of months with Ivermectin drops on the back of their necks.

The other thing that I havent yet managed to establish is how long do chickens have to be off the pasture in order to make it clean for turkeys? Farmvet may know the answer to these questions but a call to your poultry vet might be a good idea.

Though my turkeys will be going on pasture previously unused by chickens its good to know exactly where the risks lie and how to mitigate against them.

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »
If this helps anyone, our chickens are wormed with verm-x.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:48:13 pm »

I thought Verm-X was a worm reducer but not specifically a wormer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:04:40 pm »
I believe it is. Baby turkeys are called poults, same as pheasants.  I keep my turkeys and chickens in entirely separate quarters and ground.  Blackhead is generally a very mild disease in chickens but almost invariably fatal in turkeys.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:36:31 pm »
Buffy, if you are using Ivermectin so often arent you losing a week of eggs every 2 months? Do the hens really need it so often? My vet says 3 times a year is enough
Is it time to retire yet?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:04:14 pm »
My previous vet recomended it that frequently but You do have a point Kimbo. I need some more so it would be worth me taking a FEC to check. I met Bill the friendly stag turkey this evening. He was lovely and so friendly. Interestingly enough he lived with chickens that were wormed....... :thinking:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »

I thought Verm-X was a worm reducer but not specifically a wormer

it's actually now labelled as a gut conditioner-whatever that might be! they got into trouble for some of their claims wrt being actual wormers.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »
So one of the lighter coloured poults that I have been referring to as a "she" was doing the dropped wing dance and practicing gobbling while I was doing the ironing this morning. So guess what I have learned today?.  ::)

here is my latest blog for those of you who like the idea of virtual turkey raising. http://www.thechickenwhisperer.co.uk/2015/07/turkeys-for-life-or-just-for-christmas.html

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35:43 pm »
Girls sometimes do it too, don't give up on 'her' just yet  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS