Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nuts  (Read 2929 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Nuts
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:45:10 am »
I have been reading that pigs like cob nuts, acorns and beech nuts, amongst others. Do you just chuck them into their pen as they are when they are ripe. i.e. They crack them themselves?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »
Don't know about cob nuts, but pigs kept in woodland areas are known to forage Beech mast and acorns for themselves, although too much is not good for them. The only thing with acorns is that they must be ripe - not green as they can be toxic.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:49:25 pm »
Do they ever crack cobnuts, it sets your own teeth on edge to hear it! They then spit the shells out neatly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »
I'd restrict the amount of any type of nuts, depending on the age of the pigs, and introduce them gradually, as for any change in diet.  Mine enjoy sweet chestnut (used to be used ground as flour by the Romans, I believe).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »
MF, no problem about restricting them. When the nuts are ready there won't be many of them so the pigs will be lucky to get a handful a day.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:42 am »
When I used to have the same GCSE class for an entire day, if somebody needed a bit of a breather I'd send them out to our woods to collect a bowl of acorns for the pigs, made everybody very happy (pigs most of all)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:49 am »
We have beech trees overhanging some of our pig pens and the pigs hoover them up as soon as they fall, husks included.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS