Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: protecting cherries  (Read 2860 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
protecting cherries
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:57:17 am »
OK the season is over and the birds are ful..

I was actually looking at the redcurrats that need picking before the birds get the rest of those and was reminded of my late father's approach. He used to wrap the bushes in old net curtains.. and for the cherries used to pull ladies' stockings over the branches.

Now when i suggested to my wife I pop down to the local school 6th form and ask the girls for all their used tights.........she said no...

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: protecting cherries
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:06 pm »
....and for the cherries used to pull ladies' stockings over the branches.
Now when i suggested to my wife I pop down to the local school 6th form and ask the girls for all their used tights.........she said no...
I'm surprised she said no  ::)

I have seen folk making a frame/cage for when the cherry is grown against a wall or up against a fence or when its grown as a cordon.  I'm guessing that as a full grown tree it would be harder to protect the fruit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:05:48 pm by Carse Goodlifers »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »
RHS Wisley had a fan trained cherry against a wall with a net over the front one year. On of the reasons I'm fan training soem of mine on the structures I built for my apple espaliers. Gages and plums are fanning fine but the cherries not so good and it'll need a top pole with a net both sides once complete.

I also have a half dozen dwarf cherries planted last year than potentially could be caged.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:18:27 pm »
Never mind the birds. How do I protect my tree from the goat?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:59 am »
Fence or tree guard?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
Never mind the birds. How do I protect my tree from the goat?

orthopaedic support stockings and zimmer frames :roflanim: :roflanim: ... mug an old peoples home

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:32:49 pm »
Already got my own support stockings and zimmer frame, PGKEVET without mugging anyone.  :P  The tree is behind a fence but the goat climbs the fence to get to it. My plan is to buy some trellis to raise the height of the fence but I suspect I'll need chicken wire as well. Anyone know where I can buy a small quantity of the stuff? I don't need a full roll.

And the cherries have nearly all gone. I noticed one of the damn pigeons looking up into the tree today. Not that I mind too much as they're very sharp this year. They were sweet last year (all four of them).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS