Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its too wet to Clik my girls  (Read 5852 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Its too wet to Clik my girls
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:04:47 am »
Its been just over 3 weeks since they were sheared and they should be Clik'd about now but the weather is s**t. The upside of the weather is that there are no flies about either  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Its too wet to Clik my girls
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:17:29 am »
Bionic if you can give them some form of shelter they will probably dry off enough for you to spray them but keep them in after spraying so it dosent get washed off. Short, sheared fleece drys quickly. Also, if they have been sheared they should be at a much lower risk of flystrike though head flys might be bothering them.

I find my lambs are susceptible to strike despite spraying but my sheared ewes dont seem to be bothered although I do spray them. If their bottoms are clean and the weather is keeping the flies at bay then I'm sure that waiting until the sheep dry will still be in good time. 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:45:42 am »
Buffy, I don't have any lambs so that isn't a problem. I also think they will be dry enough to spray, as you said sheared fleece dries quickly. I am just worried that we will get a downpour that washes if off again.
Just looked at the weather forecast and it says we are going to be dry all day and the sun has appeared, YES.....
Looks like I might be able to do it now  :)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:59:45 am »
Downpour forecast for tomorrow but today looks promising. :sunshine:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:15:17 am »
Yep, just been and done them and  :fc: its going to remain dry for long enough.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:05:16 pm »
We have rain  :raining: AND flies, very humid - they're driving me scatty so I'm sending off for a midgie net.  The sheep seem ok and are all sprayed anyway.  No chance of cutting the hay yet though, which is now past its best.
Great you got your girls sprayed Bionic  :thumbsup:  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 05:32:06 pm »
The rain held off here today which meant oh got the piggy wood sprayed and I got the feed room cleaned out and a coop creosoted. Rain just starting now. My grass really needs it though :relief:

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:11:34 pm »
Well done Bionic. I waited and waited after mine had been sheared till it got to about 5 weeks as the weather was so erratic. Then they said it would be great for 4 clear days. So I Clik'd them one day and it monsooned the next. Then a dry day, then another monsoon! I don't know what to do now. It's all a worry.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:40 am »
Well done Bionic. I waited and waited after mine had been sheared till it got to about 5 weeks as the weather was so erratic. Then they said it would be great for 4 clear days. So I Clik'd them one day and it monsooned the next. Then a dry day, then another monsoon! I don't know what to do now. It's all a worry.
[/quote
Yep, know that feeling. Did them in the dry yesterday and monsoon today  :(

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 09:56:28 am »
Well the weather men were right.

Don't think I'll ever get hay made this year.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »
How long does it need to be dry for after you've applied Clik to allow it to bind to the fleece and NOT wash out? (maybe daft question)    Need to do mine but the forecast is like one dry day, two wet days and so on!

Also - is it ok to tup not long after applying Clik (maybe another daft question) - will the chemicals be likely to cause any probs for Mr Tups important little place/s when he's jumping onto a Clik'd fleece?! 

And while I'm at it .....  is it ok to vaccinate (Heptavac P Plus) at around the same time as putting Clik on?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 05:22:17 pm »
How long does it need to be dry for after you've applied Clik to allow it to bind to the fleece and NOT wash out? (maybe daft question)    Need to do mine but the forecast is like one dry day, two wet days and so on!

Also - is it ok to tup not long after applying Clik (maybe another daft question) - will the chemicals be likely to cause any probs for Mr Tups important little place/s when he's jumping onto a Clik'd fleece?! 

Ive got both the same questions about Crovect!
I Crovected yesterday in brilliant sunshine and I know it had dried by teatime, but it starting pelting down here at 11am today. have I wasted my time?
Also, as Im told to expect flies well into autumn here, will it be safe to Crovect close to tupping time?
Is it time to retire yet?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »
Crovect  and Clik both need 4-6hrs to dry depending on  fleece length    and how warm /windy and then can stand rain but not torrential ,     Clik with fleece bind should be ok in a wet year  but Crovect will wash out faster so may not protect the full 6wks .     Rams   will be ok  and hep p will be ok

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 09:17:49 pm »
Thanks Shep 53  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:22 am »
Thanks shep, that's good to know. Mine had Clik and it didn't rain for about 18 hours and then was torrential. So  :fc:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS