Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Talking Turkeys  (Read 3551 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Talking Turkeys
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:40:05 pm »
Hi  :wave:

I am interested in any of your experiences and observations of turkey behavior. What they like and dislike, what sounds or colours they respond to, favorite treats etc etc. My turkey poults are proving lots of fun but so different from all the chicks that I have ever raised.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Talking Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:33 pm »
Mine love apples and blackberries!

I hang apples up on a string for them and they love it.

Mine always seem petrified of small ducklings, although they'll happily wander into deep water and get soaked! :innocent:

If I sit down outside they all circle around me waiting to see whats going on!  :excited:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:08 pm »
I gave my little Turks some straw today which was the cause of a great deal of interest. Well you dont get out much as a turkey chick.  :-J

I tried mimicking mum with lots of whistles and clicks but I think I just gave the impression that there was a dolphin in the room. ;D Has anyone got any tips for mimicking mum. I dont have a turkey hen to copy.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:21 pm »
The tiny turks were treated to some sand in a tray today and a mirror which has kept them entertained between naps. They really seem to have perked up in the last day or so. They were almost catatonic when I first brought them home but now every day is a school day and they seem to be enjoying the stimulation.

They are in the utility room so they get used to me constantly popping in and out as well as the cluncks and whirs of the washing machine and tumble dryer. They were whistling a bit today while I was busy washing out the poultry feeders so I tried mimicking them to see what response I got in an attempt to understand what the sound meant.

I'm not much wiser I'm afraid but I am determined to establish a rapport with them. The good news is whenever I pick them up for handling they settle quickly and no longer poo all over me. Guess that means they're getting the hang of it.

Tomorrows exciting adventure will be a page from a magazine. Chicks like to peck at the bright colours and shapes so I hope the turkeys will too.

And my Lesson learned for today?........ If you don't feed them boiled egg their droppings don't stink.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:17:17 pm »
My wife struck up a rapport with a turkey stag at a show a few years back. She certainly got his attention and at one stage he got rather excited. A crowd had gathered at this stage whereupon a lady from the audience said " excuse me madam, but are you talking turkey?". The place erupted in laughter, because clearly she was!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
Im a bit afraid of Turkeys  :-[
Is it time to retire yet?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:44:16 am »
I can understand that Kimbo,

the males can be aggressive and they are big strong birds who can do alot of damage. I'm going to see a lady this evening who has a bale that loves people and if she bends down he puts his head under her arm.

I am hoping that by lots of handling and confidence building as babies my turkeys will turn out to be relaxed, friendly girls and boys.

Today I cleaned out their brooder with them in it and they discovered that the the dustpan means them no harm. Then I lined the brooder with pages from the Smallholder magazine and they got very excited about a picture of a vintage tractor and a yellow page containing adverts for miniature donkeys :love: bless them. I also pined up the cover of the magazine which has a large image of a turkey but they were more interested in pecking their mirror and trying to balance on the twig perch that I have introduced.

They really are very sweet Kimbo and quite different to chicks. Like all animals- you reap what you sow. I find that time invested at the start makes life so much easier in the long run when my animals are calm and confident with me.[size=78%] [/size]

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:11 am »
Well the tiny Turks are getting bigger every day and have now advanced to playing out in the big coop and run which will eventually be their home. I take them from the brooder each morning and a they chatter away in the comfort of the pet carrier before being set free to flap about and perch. They have a dust bath, a heat lamp and lots of straw and seem to really enjoy it. They are so sweet and fascinating to watch as they are so different to my chickens.

Check out my latest blog for an update on their early adventures.
http://www.thechickenwhisperer.co.uk/2015/07/turkeys-for-life-or-just-for-christmas.html

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:23:55 am »
I've had mine for 2 weeks now, they are very cute, funny to watch and I love listening to them chatting, they are very tame as they will do anything for meal worms! but.... They drive me potty as they insist on spending the day in the garden despite having 28 acres and they luv pecking at the patio doors catching bugs and of course the puppy wants to eat them so I can't take my eyes of them.   :yum:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »
They are probably a bit too new to want to venture far from what they know as safety. I'm sure they will start to explore in time.

But  you are right about the cuteness :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS