Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squitty shearling  (Read 6604 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Squitty shearling
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 07:09:58 pm »
Cocci is usually a disease of young lambs, are people worming shearlings routinely then? Am I really mean? Mine get a drench after they lamb down if they are lucky. Shearling rams get nothing. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:14:07 pm by Me »

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:21:50 pm »
I don't believe it is diet: she was messy when she was in on pellets and haylage and still is on my unimproved but clovery upland fields.

She seems fit and well - no sign of discomfort or loss of condition. No odd behaviour.

I wouldn't say she was scouring as such: she produces very sloppy doings which she seems to manage to get all over her back end somehow, but it isn't liquid, yellow or smelly. Just...cow-like...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 04:19:57 am »
Neither do I me, I was thinking worming wise, we wouldn't dose them as often as a lamb but neither dose them like a ewe. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »
I don't believe it is diet: she was messy when she was in on pellets and haylage and still is on my unimproved but clovery upland fields.

She seems fit and well - no sign of discomfort or loss of condition. No odd behaviour.

I wouldn't say she was scouring as such: she produces very sloppy doings which she seems to manage to get all over her back end somehow, but it isn't liquid, yellow or smelly. Just...cow-like...

Definitely cull, you don't want to breed from that.

Having said which, I had a last minute change of heart and kept Harry Potter because her fleece was so interesting.  She's still a mucky one, but so far  :fc: her lambs don't seem to be following her in that.  They're both ewe lambs, so I'll be making sure I know which ones they are and monitoring them closely up until keeper selection time ;).  I still have mixed feelings about HP though... she's done a great job, has a fabulously sproingy fleece, but she is, always, mucky at the back.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 02:53:15 pm »
"Sproingy! what a lovely and apt word ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 03:12:16 pm »
If she was put on high risk pasture after turnout she may have picked up worms which have  damaged her gut.  I, too, wouldn't breed from her. She may look fine now but struggle to raise lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS