Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 3950 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Stuck
« on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:00 pm »
So guys am not sure if this is the right place for this kind of topic, but I really need some advice. I have an abundance of field mushrooms, personally I can't stand them but my family loves them, what is the best way to cook them? What do you guys do? Usually my mum cooks them, but I would like to give it a try and try some new recipes. Advice please?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:01:07 pm »
I tend to keep cooking simple.. fried in an omelette or stuck in stews and casseroles.

I do have one claim to culinary fame: thinly sliced, fried slowly then put on toast... crumble danish blue cheese thickly on top and grill to melt it. Stilton can work if being posh but isn't quite salty enough.

Oh, and you can dry mushrooms easily to preserve them.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »
Soup. This is a family favourite, freezes well if there's any left:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/food/recipes/mushroom-soup-with-parsley-and-garlic/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:24:35 am »
Thanks guys. I made a pork and mushroom carbonara which was good, but I will try your recipes too as I still have tons left.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:12:11 pm »
If you have a food processor you can use the slicer plate and thin slice any that are up to about 1.5 inches across .
Oven dehydrate them in a low oven say 50  - 60 oC with the door slightly ajar putting them on  some of these pizza baking mesh mats or bamboo table place mats.

Starting the session at say 21.00 hrs  turning them over hourly , doing it over night , turning them just before bed time and upon getting up .
When they are dry & leathery after around 15 hrs of drying ,  pop them in clean airtight jars or vac pack & heat seal them , then pop them in the freezer in small packs where they will stay OK for many months .

Another thing you can do is to make a mushroom sauce/gravy and freeze it in ice cubes
 Simply cut up half a pound or so of  mushrooms fry them in a big frying pan with a little butter . Once they are all buttered , put the lid on the pan, turn the heat down and let them sweat . Now pour 3/4 of a pint of boiling water in the frying pan and replace the lid let them simmer for 15 min or so . drain the elixir off using a sieve and when it is cool  pop it in the cube trays and freeze .
 Once frozen solid , eject the cubes and wrap them in several turns of cling film to make them air tight . Store them in a zip-lock type bag in the freezer. 

Taking out a cube or two when needed for use in soups , stews or  pasta dishes as needed . Don't put salt, herbs or spices in the elixir before freezing for salt will stop it from freezing and the other stuff will lose its flavour very quickly , only season the dish at the time of making the meal .
 You can use this elixir for flavouring home made pate as well .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:54:32 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »
Or, if you have a hot cupboard, airing cupboard you ca n take the stalks off and thread the caps on string ( I use the string from the tops of feed bags) and hang them up (like washing) 'til dry. Use the stalks for soup or stock.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:07:08 am »
Those are really good ideas, I think I will try em out. :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:31:18 am »
WARNING!! While they are drying they smell like pee!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:12:56 am »
Cats think so and will spray them if they get a chance , even castrated toms & speyed queens that you may have will often do it.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
Cats think so and will spray them if they get a chance , even castrated toms & speyed queens that you may have will often do it.
I have a castrated Tom cat, he's a farm cat though and due to me being allergic to cats in the house he's not allowed in the house but lives in the hay shed. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS