Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new babies have arrived  (Read 2963 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
My new babies have arrived
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:53 pm »
I was so excited at the weekend to get my new babies, all the waiting was definitely worth it:

I now have 2 pretty Toggs who are 11 weeks old and we have called Aurora and Ariel:

And 2 beautiful Anglo Nubians who are 14 weeks old and are called Maisy and Mia:

The Nubians happily take a bottle but the Toggs have decided it's Mum or nothing. Being 11 weeks old I don't think it is going to be a problem, but would have liked to have them on milk for longer. They have settled in well together and have an option of 2 rooms in the shed. The first night they opted for the Nubs in one and the Toggs in another, but last night they decided to sleep in the same room (well the Nubs gatecrashed), but they seemed ok. The start of my goat keeping life, and I am already missing them as I had to go back to work today.
________
Caroline

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: My new babies have arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:49 pm »
They are lovely. I am sure you will spend a lot of time doing nothing but watching them     ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »
Lovely
+ like the fencing, I've been wanting some like that.
try the toggs drinking milk from a bowl?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:19:17 pm »
We were lucky to have the Heras panels with the property and they are working well to help us set out where we want fencing to go.

I have tried putting milk in a small tub. They sniff it, as they also do with the bottles, but just not interested in trying to drink it. I don't really want to force it down them as they are still getting used to us.
________
Caroline

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:24:06 pm »
Lovely goats - I cant see why they wont do well without the milk as long as have good forage and hard feed. Also like the fencing - wont jump over it in a hurry!

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
Congrats on your new animals, they look very nice! :thumbsup: . I'm sure you'll get many hours of enjoyment with them, I can understand the reluctant drag away to work :) .
It's worth continuing to persevere with the bottle feeding, just take it slow, calm and gentle, with luck they'll get the hang of it and once they start there will be no stopping them. Good luck, enjoy and have fun! :) .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:32:34 pm »
Just beautiful. You are going to have such fun with them but, be warned, goats are terrible time wasters.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 12:36:13 am »
Try putting a bit of honey in the milk, is it lamb milk or are you getting goats milk?
they would be OK on hard feed, but personally I'd try and get them drinking a bit longer. Have you tried leaving the bowl in for them to try when they are on their own?
I found some mixing bowls (food bowl) that just sit in the top of the water buckets, don't get knocked about as much, and I can just lean over, drop the food bowl in, then lift it out when they've finished, no extra buckets getting kicked about  ::)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:49 am »
your life will never be the same again  :excited:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »
We are getting goats milk (from the same person who sold us the toggs) so it should be familiar to them. Will try the honey idea and the bowl in the top of the bucket idea. Thanks :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »
I envy you  :goat: I have one goat left an Alpine. My Nubians were big dafties, you are going to have so much
fun ! Lovable and just a joy !  :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS