Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stocking density calculations  (Read 7988 times)

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
Stocking density calculations
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:19:07 pm »
Am I right that when calculating stocking density you only include adult animals (and not lambs at foot)?

We currently have 14 shetland ewes and 2 Hebrideans plus 11 lambs at foot.  We have a total of 7 acres but are currently working 4 acres as these are securely fenced into 3 paddocks and the rest is not secure yet (aiming at rotating every 2 to 3 weeks between these three so resting each for 5 weeks). Am I right that our stocking density at the moment is 4 per acre (based on the adult sheep and the acres in use)? And when would the lambs become part of the head count (assuming they are staying)?

Just looking at future planning and deciding on when we might need to bring new pastures into play, how many lambs we should keep etc.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Stocking density calculations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »
Stocking density has many variables and is another case of an art and a science.  Depending on your soil, location, aspect, rainfall and time of year the availability of grazing will vary widely.  Whether you have an improved or ancient ley will also have a considerable influence.  You are extremely unlikely to be able to graze your stock on top quality grazing all year.  In summer there will be too much grass, some of which you can conserve as hay or haylage.  The grass is unlikely to grow much between October and March. 

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »
Thanks MF - you are right - and I am planning to supplement with ad lib hay in winter. The grass is decent pasture but has been somewhat neglected in recent years so we're working on weed control as well (mainly thistles and nettles). The stocking density is really just to give me a starting point - but I wanted to be sure I was calculating it correctly! Dan - that is a very useful document - thank you.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
From experience and asking neighbours in my area (and on here last year) - stocking density for my land varies from 2-6 an acre without supplimentary feeding, down to these variables;

Rotational grazing or not;
Feeding on the land or not;
Fertilizing of the land;
Breed of sheep.

To give an idea, If you graze down to 4cm, however long it takes, then move paddocks... you will get the best grass growth, but you could do set timeings which has the benefit of creating long grass areas, more wildlife and less worm/parasite burden (i currently practise this, but may experiment in time).

If you feed hay on the land a) you eek out the grass and b) the manure from the hay adds fertility so improving grass growth, so a double edged sword of greatness increasing your carrying cap.

Add nitroen in May and well - you can grow grass faster than 12 sheep an acre can eat it for 5 weeks or so.

Breed - 12 hebrideans eat about the same grass as 4 texels in my experience on my land, and the same as 5 NEM Mules, and 7-8 Lleyns......... they are smaller sheep though

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »
We find our dilemma is that our pasture can hold far more sheep in the summer than the winter (duh!).

We currently have 12 adults and 10 lambs, and the grass is getting away from us big time, such that I'd say we probably need 2-3 times the number of mouths to keep it down.

The problem is, that number would be utterly unworkable in the winter and the place would just turn into a quagmire.

Since this is also relevant to the O/P, can I ask what others do to manage this sort of seasonality? It's playing on my mind at the moment, as 5 acres is taking a loooong time to top with a push mower!  ::)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:12 pm »
We find our dilemma is that our pasture can hold far more sheep in the summer than the winter (duh!).

We currently have 12 adults and 10 lambs, and the grass is getting away from us big time, such that I'd say we probably need 2-3 times the number of mouths to keep it down.

The problem is, that number would be utterly unworkable in the winter and the place would just turn into a quagmire.

Since this is also relevant to the O/P, can I ask what others do to manage this sort of seasonality? It's playing on my mind at the moment, as 5 acres is taking a loooong time to top with a push mower!  ::)
Run a couple of Shetland cattle/beef cattle with the sheep on the grass in the summer and send them off as winter approaches (either to slaughter or for finishing) If you timed the buying of them with the start of spring/grass growing it might work quite well? Or a grass eating pig that would be ready to go  ;) or rent to a local pony owner for summer livery?

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:32:58 am »
Use of a plate meter can really help, its far far easier than trying to figure out stocking calculations as it gives you an exact calculation and shows you what that field can support.

Or a similar thing called a sward stick

Before moving animals on to the grazing, measure how many kgs/DM per acre/ha there is, this gives you an exact guide as to how long the grazing will last a certain amount of animals

two weeks ago 5 acres lasted 103 sheep 5 days, however it was hay aftermath and pretty brown with a low kgs/dm per acre, if this 5 acres was lush green pasture and measured much higher on the plate meter it would have lasted possibly double this time

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »
Thanks - I hadn't heard of a plate meter/sward stick. Looking into that.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:22:46 pm »
Plate meters are very expensive to buy, I borrow one when I can but actually I find the use of one of these to be fairly accurate

http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/news/qms-sward-stick-monitor-optimal-grass-production

If you email asking for a free one they send you one within a couple of weeks, its easy to use with the tutorial being here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fsXl_NrZU

:wave:

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37:03 am »
Thanks - have sent off for one. :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 09:52:44 am »

Make hay!! while the sun shines ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 10:11:24 am »
We live in Scotland. What is this 'sun' of which you speak?  :raining:

Seriously though, we did consider haymaking, but we don't have the equipment, and can't justify buying it for only a few acres. We could get a contractor I guess, but we'd be such small fry for them that I can't see it working happily.

I think that's a common problem for smallholders really. For this year, I've borrowed a couple of  :horse: s to help keep it down!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:58 pm »
Our contracting neighbours are very obliging about doing smallholders' hay at the same time as they do their larger contracting jobs.  If they can just turn into a smallholding field on the way back from cutting/turning/rowing up/baling 60 acres it's a lot easier than having to keep switching the kit over for small fields. 

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »
Thanks - have sent off for one. :)

Great  :thumbsup:

I hope you find it as useful as I have done  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS