Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I tame 2 older goats  (Read 3922 times)

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
How do I tame 2 older goats
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:55:57 am »
Hi, I need help taming 2 male goats.  I had 2 goats from kids, years ago and they were very tame.  I have just rescued a 11 year old, full billy and a 14 month old, full billy.  These goats are far from tame, you can't even get within 20 feet of them.  I know it is going to take a long time to get their trust, but their hooves are in a really bad way and need doing now.  They also won't going in their shelter when it rains.  Can someone give me some advise on this situation, I would be most grateful.  Kim:) :goat:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: How do I tame 2 older goats
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Do you have any other goats which are tame and come to the bucket? I was thinking, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, that if you put the tame goats in with the goats which need taming then they would come with the rest of them to food? Maybe let them see you petting the other goats, so they can see that you're trustable as well?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:16 pm »
 :wave: I'm afraidI can't help with your request but I'm sure that someone who know how to will place your request in the Goat section so that you receive expert advice, all the best

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:00 am »
bananas and a heap of patience  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:21:33 am »
bananas and a heap of patience  :fc:
Or a heap of bananas and lots of patience,lol!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:27 pm »
 If at present you can't get within 20ft of them, then even with kind words and bribes of favourite food, it will, as you say, take a long time to get their confidence. In fact, as distust is their default setting, you may never achieve it.
Goats are prey animals. These ones  obviously see humans as predators. So in my book, you'll have to do something more positive to convince them otherwise.
 So - before you go any further - stop looking them in the eye when you approach. In fact try not to look them in the eye at all until you have their  confidence. Eying the prey is what predators do when moving in for the kill, so when you do it then you are just re enforcing the goats' worse fears. Look at the ground or rear of the animal. You can still see what they're doing but they stay calmer.
You need to herd or somehow trap the animals in a pen or shed from which they can't escape. Then get a collar or halter on them and tie them up to something strong. Make sure you can easily release them if need be and don't leave them alone and tied up.
Once tied up, they'll probably jump up and down frantically for a few minutes or throw themselves on the ground. Just give them some space and they'll soon calm down.
Keeping your distance, get a long branch, or long stick with a glove on the end and stroke the animal gently. After a while they'll realise that this contact doesn't kill them, and in fact doesn't hurt. It might even be pleasant. At this stage I don't go near enough to invade the animal's personal space. (Hence the long stick/branch) But keep moving about so it gets used to my presence without feeling too threatened.
When it remains calm when stroked from afar and has stopped panicking as you move about, then you can approach it. I usually then use my hand to gently and briefly scratch its backside. Once it's realised that this is quite pleasant, you can move your hand to gently scratch or stroke it's back  and then move gradually to its shoulders. When it appears relaxed at you touching it, then give it some treat to reward it and let it go.
Then do the same the next day until it is happy for you to touch it without being restrained.
If the animal is  that wild that you don't get as far as hand stroking in one go, then just get it used to being stroked from afar, give it a treat and release it. Next day it should at least be a bit less worried, so try and progress a bit further.
Good luck.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:04:38 am »
If at present you can't get within 20ft of them, then even with kind words and bribes of favourite food, it will, as you say, take a long time to get their confidence. In fact, as distust is their default setting, you may never achieve it.
Goats are prey animals. These ones  obviously see humans as predators. So in my book, you'll have to do something more positive to convince them otherwise.
 So - before you go any further - stop looking them in the eye when you approach. In fact try not to look them in the eye at all until you have their  confidence. Eying the prey is what predators do when moving in for the kill, so when you do it then you are just re enforcing the goats' worse fears. Look at the ground or rear of the animal. You can still see what they're doing but they stay calmer.
You need to herd or somehow trap the animals in a pen or shed from which they can't escape. Then get a collar or halter on them and tie them up to something strong. Make sure you can easily release them if need be and don't leave them alone and tied up.
Once tied up, they'll probably jump up and down frantically for a few minutes or throw themselves on the ground. Just give them some space and they'll soon calm down.
Keeping your distance, get a long branch, or long stick with a glove on the end and stroke the animal gently. After a while they'll realise that this contact doesn't kill them, and in fact doesn't hurt. It might even be pleasant. At this stage I don't go near enough to invade the animal's personal space. (Hence the long stick/branch) But keep moving about so it gets used to my presence without feeling too threatened.
When it remains calm when stroked from afar and has stopped panicking as you move about, then you can approach it. I usually then use my hand to gently and briefly scratch its backside. Once it's realised that this is quite pleasant, you can move your hand to gently scratch or stroke it's back  and then move gradually to its shoulders. When it appears relaxed at you touching it, then give it some treat to reward it and let it go.
Then do the same the next day until it is happy for you to touch it without being restrained.
If the animal is  that wild that you don't get as far as hand stroking in one go, then just get it used to being stroked from afar, give it a treat and release it. Next day it should at least be a bit less worried, so try and progress a bit further.
Good luck.

I smell a jelly marks/monty fan ! I'd never thought of join up with goats but why not!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:14:36 am »
True , if it works for horses why not goats, unless their herd response is a lot different

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:47 am »
Well, I must admit I haven't tried it on goats because I've never had any that terrified.
But it's worked well for cattle and sheep and donkeys. :sunshine:   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:55 am »
Sounds like a plan!! Patience and windless should win!!
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:57 pm »
I must admit I once had an older goat who was causing all sorts of problems so I haltered her for a couple of days with plenty of water and feed. She was a totally different animal afterwards, completely calmed her down.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:58:47 pm »
easier to bucket train them in winter when they are hungry and see you as bringer of food. taming a 12 year? not sure. when I first got mine they use to climb the walls in fear now they mug me for food.
ref - feet, use a race or catch them in a stable. make a crush?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS