Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Breeders of South Lanarkshire - Ho!!!  (Read 3484 times)

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
Shetland Breeders of South Lanarkshire - Ho!!!
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
Hi,

You may have seen my earlier posts about my getting a tup for my girls.  So here's the story...

I have one date this August with an appointment I cannot break, any other day is free, so I'm sure you can guess what day Lanark Mart has scheduled it's Shetland Sale!  I just can't make it and neither can anyone else go for me. Seriously peeved!  >:(

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a Shetland tup for sale/willing to sell.  This is my first time breeding so I'd prefer no lunatics  ;D I'm also planning on a buy/use/eat situation and he doesn't need to be registered or anything, just after a nice daddy sheep  ;D

If anyone can help I would be most grateful else I'm stuck.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Shetland Breeders of South Lanarkshire - Ho!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
I have 6 of this year's lambs all eligible for registration if required, all reasonably handlable I'm in Fife but could deliver easily.. They would be ready to move come Sept and fit to work this year :-D

I can sort pictures if required and nothing is closer...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:32:07 am »
Depending how many ewes you have to tup, for a lower number a tup lamb should be perfectly ok to do the job - what colour are you looking for?

IMO - unless you are breeding for showing and top standard etc, it is better to get your 1st tup in a private sale where you have a chance to speak to the breeder, maybe choose between a few and you can make sure he has got all the bits&bobs in the right place. Re-sale value is often limited, and getting him off into the freezer in late winter is a sensible option.

I have 2 white tup lambs, pedigree available, but I wasn't going to use them for breeding. I am near St Boswells in the Borders.

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:06 pm »
Yeah, I was starting to think that this date clash was a blessing as I'd never bought a sheep at auction before! Chickens yes, sheep no. And being able to talk with someone was probably a better way to go anyway.

I have 10 ewes.  I'm not looking to register him as none of the ewes are registered.  Colour, I was more interested in his temperament, ability etc rather than colour, especially as this is my first breeding.  I think eventually I'll probably take colour into account.

Dusty

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »
Hi

We are in Galloway (near Newton Stewart) and have shearling shetland tups available (5 in all).  Each of these boys sired lambs as ram lambs.  We were planning to enter two at the Lanark sale and two at Carlisle - that could change if you are interested.  We also have a three shear available. These lads are all well handled.  We have also kept three boys entire from this year's lambs - they would be available at weaning.  Adults are all registered and lambs will be. 

PM me, if you are interested, if you want information about colour/markings, bloodlines etc.

Jim

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:50 pm »
Hi,
I'm based south of Biggar, and have a three year old fawn katmoget, we have used him for two years now,so he has to go because his daughters will be in the flock this year. He isn't aggressive, and comes to a bucket, but he isn't hand tame, ( I personally don't like tups to be too friendly), he has produced some super offspring which have come in various colours. There is also a one year old and a couple of this years lambs, although I doubt if the lambs would be big enough to use this year, as we are on a hill farm, and don't start lambing until the end of May.
You are quite welcome to come and have a look without obligation, if you want to, pm me and I'll send you my details.
Regards
Sue

Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:32 am »
Thank you to everyone who offered help in finding a gent.

I now have a lovely Mr, brought him home yesterday.

Once again it was lovely to see how helpful everyone here was, makes this newbie here feel like we might just manage this sheep malarkey!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS