Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Info on Vet Schools Anyone?  (Read 13523 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Info on Vet Schools Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:04 pm »
I'm sure the animal rights folk could supply horror stories.

Yes I'm sure they could....

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:30 am »
If you have problems then go seek/ask for help.. don't do it by creating a load of drama and problems for everyone else along the way. I believe a lot of this is the fault of all the 'issues' dredged up in soaps and film making folk think that this is the way to behave instead of promoting rationality, self-confidence and self reliance.

I'm all for helping out those that need help but I'm against the contemporary attitude of reducing everything to the lowest common denominator with constant whining about unfair it all is and expecting a lifestyle delivered free on a plate.

Hitching yourself up to a slow drip rate is a pure lottery - neither a determined attempt at suicide nor even a determined cry for help..just playing percentages unless it's really diluted and slow in which case it's pure selfish play-acting.
  I am a nurse who used to work in a large regional hospital and Fri, Sat 'take' we would have half a dozen ODs each week on our ward alone, this was nearly 30 years ago. Some were regulars, they took to much, drugs, drink or both and ended up in ITU or on the ward, detoxed and sent out again to reappear next weekend.
   What really used to upset me was the cry for help OD's, the woman who had been sexually abused by her son, a women who had found out her husband was having a long tem affair, there were men as well, but the common theme was they didn't know how to cope with enormous stress and distress and could see no other way of showing they were not waving but drowning. To tell some who do not know at 02.00 in the morning that your son has just sexually assaulted you and you were crying shocked in the kitchen and the pills were,just there , to think they should get on with it as they are just selfish....
  A cry for help is just as much a symptom of illness as lameness, quick intervention helps not only helps them and their families and also prevents further long term costs to us all. In fact the cry for help often costs us the taxpayer  more as they often use paracetamol which is a long slow death from liver failure or they end up with a liver transplant.
    People have really high expectations placed on them from all sides, if you are not rich enough, pretty enough, slim enough or earn enough money to support the lifestyle everyone expects, you a deemed by some to be a failure, some can cope by some with being seen as a failure but to a lot it is corrosive, I would rather they whined about it than  they took an OD  or shot themselves.
  I go on thefarmingforum, the stresses some of these men are going through are huge often born stoically, farmers are really good at suicide, I suppose they have a long time on their own to think about it, I like to think the forum helps.
   I hope all your family live up to your high expectations and you lose no one close, either in a cry for help or by serious intent.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:40 am »

I hope all your family live up to your high expectations and you lose no one close, either in a cry for help or by serious intent.

I have been there. My second boss killled himself and one of my daughters tried. Both my wife's brothers also killed themselves. Just in case anyone thinks I've been isolated from such matters.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 10:24:45 pm »

I have been there. My second boss killled himself and one of my daughters tried. Both my wife's brothers also killed themselves. Just in case anyone thinks I've been isolated from such matters.

:hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:57 am »
Oh dear and poor MF only asked for info on vet schools I'm sure they will now be wishing that their daughter choose another career!
Anne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:33 am »
I was just thinking the same thing, DM!  I don't care what she does, so long as she's healthy and happy and it's legal.  I think she's chosen a very difficult path.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:52 am »
Think it would be good to see this thread return to the original question please.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 09:30:49 am »
My vets are the Cambridge Vet School, they run a practice so the students get to see ordinary practice not just the stuff that gets referred. The tutors who come out with them always seem keen for them to have a go, with the owners permission, they castrated two ponies for me and the students got to do a testicle each.
 I know they have a farm animal practice as well.
   The campus is excellent, brand new and still growing and of course all the bio-tech industries around and its just outside Cambridge.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »
"Any experience or other relevant info that's not mentioned in the University prospectus would be most gratefully received."

I think a lot of the above is very relevant and wont be covered in the prospectus! If I had my time again I would choose Liverpool.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:10:54 pm by Me »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:48 pm »
The point has been made that lecturers move around, retire, new ones come along and may have new research or interests to offer.
I have no regrets about my time at London and would have no reason to say i wished i'd gone elsewhere. Undoubtedly during my time the sheep stuff at Glasgow was superior.. to the point that our student's unions linked up and got a set of Glasgow notes for us.

During the mid 80's Liverpool was ahead in some joint work..mostly due to Prof Bennet who actually studied in my year at London. Bristol was perhaps in the forefront of some cat work along with Glasgows virology labs and cambridge in endocrinology and cardiac stuff and access via the animal health trust and Addenbrooks for the earliest playing with MRI and radiotherapy.

One important point we did pick up on - and i don't think it was coincidence . I was heavily into Rowing with the privilege of going international. Those students who were into high level sport all did above average in their studies.. not just vet studies. across all disciplines. The old adage held true that a fit body helps a fit mind. (work hard, play hard)

I do know that towards the late 90's some of the lecturers were getting a bit miffed over internal politics and all the tick-box mentality.. but that is now the modern way

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 11:12:31 am »
"Any experience or other relevant info that's not mentioned in the University prospectus would be most gratefully received."
I think a lot of the above is very relevant and wont be covered in the prospectus! If I had my time again I would choose Liverpool.

Why Liverpool in particular?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:21 am »
Mates of mine who attended Liverpool and Edinburgh enjoyed Liverpool more, students I am in contact with (lambing, seeing practice etc) who are there now are really enjoying it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS