Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making sausages - advice needed!  (Read 5119 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
Making sausages - advice needed!
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »
I've had 3 Kune Kunes slaughtered and made into sausages. Feedback has been really positive, so anyone thinking about doing it with Kunes - my advice is definitely to go for it. They were older ones and all of the meat went into sausages.

First was 60kg dw, 13mm back fat. 2nd and 3rd were 90kg and 80kg respectively, both about 20mm back fat. Obviously a lot of fat was cut off and thrown out particularly on 2&3. Unfortunately I could not establish how much was cut off and thrown out in kgs by the butcher.  I got approx. 90 trays off the first, 140 of the second and 114 off the 3rd of 6 links of chunky sausages. If these had been less fat pigs but same dead weights - say I'd managed 6-10mm back fat, would fat need to be cut off or could it all go into sausages? Any idea by how I'd have increased the yield by?

I've some weaners (Saddleback / middle white ) which I'm raising. I hope to get some bacon off these as well as sausage and trying to get them to the right back fat and weight. Any idea how much bacon approx. or as a % of the carcass (I'm trying to work out what sort of yield the sausages would be).

What are people using for flavourings / rusk / cereal? The butcher has been making 9kg mixes net of meat, but instead of using 3 500 and odd gm packs per 9kg mix as per manufacturer's instructions (Dalesman), has only been using 2. This is giving a higher meat content of about 75% as opposed to 65/67% if they'd followed the instructions. But what affect will this have on the strength of flavour? What or who's do you use to get a higher meat content in your sausages?

Cheers

David

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Making sausages - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »
how much per tray of sauages would you get for them,
looking on with interest  :thumbsup:
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:00:22 am »
Dave,

I have just ordered some sausage making seasoning, rusk and skins to have a go at making my own. I think that there is actually an optimum ratio of meat to fat / rusk as having eaten high meat / low fat sausages they are dryer and crumblier than the average juicy banger.

I will be making my first batch with some saddleback pork that my sister fattened so I will let you know how I get on. I plan to use some fresh herbs from the garden etc and have a few volunteer tasters. Shame your not closer. :)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:44 am »
The optimum lean meat/fat ratio is about 70/30. Sausages with about 75% meat seem to make the best eating experience. Too high a meat content or too little fat will leave you with a dry sausage with less flavour. Generally if you use shoulder meat the ratio of fat to lean comes out about right though obviously any part of the pig can go into a sausage.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 09:26:04 am »
Hi David,

I had a few stabs at my sausage making using different cuts shoulder etc and just worked in around 20 % of fat. I trilled the lean meat off the shoulder and left some fat on some pieces then worked it in along with the rusk and seasoning. I went for a coarse mix which I prefer as I like my sausages meaty and juicy not pale and mushy.

My plan with the kunes is to use a range of cuts in the sausage rather than the traditional ones. If you pm me I can send you some more info by email including pics.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
Buffy is there any chance you could send me the details as we have 3 Kunes going off on Sunday which OH wants to turn into sausages
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 10:21:16 am »
Yes Clydesdale PM me your email

CPWSolf

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Somerset
  • Wannabe Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:00:38 pm »
Having attended a sausage making course just two days ago the sausages we made were stunning) I can state:

Cuts: Shoulder and belly.
Fat content: 20% but you can alter this depending on your own tastes of course, though I wouldn't go any lower.

The mix: 1.7kg meat/fat
170g rusk
57g seasoning mix
Water to achieve wetness of mix you require.

All the ruck and seasonings were from Weschenfelder (online company).

I also shouldn't worry about the perfect weight etc, as it is so hit and miss!

Hope this helps
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »
I just spent a whole weekend making sausages. I have to say for this first time I bought ready mixed seasoning from a butchers sundry place on amazon but it really wasn't expensive. I deboned both shoulders and hand from one pig and hand minced it. I also used the casings from the pig which really wasn't that bad a job. It was really easy and a total success!

It was a lot of work but definately worth it. I found that there was plenty of fat in those cuts to keep the sausage moist.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:38:08 am »
I just spent a whole weekend making sausages.[/quote 
A whole weekend?
I have a picture in my mind of someone standing next to a 10ft high pile of sausages.  ;D ;D ;D

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:05:01 pm »
lol, i did end up with a lot of sausages but the whole weekend included all the butchery and meat processing involved before the actual sausage making happened!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:20:12 am »
We have used weschenfelder for seasoning and skins but make our own rusk. Shoulder meat is usually ideal. we have no pigs at present but bought some shoulders and legs for 1.84 and 1.90 € a kg respectively. have a go at Toulouse sausages - no rusk but includes garlic, sage, thyme. Black pepper and some red wine.
We made about 18 pounds of sausages and cost ( including skins we bought in a supermarket) came out at £ 1.13 a pound in Uk terms.
see The Sausage Book by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton. once you have the kit and some experience then the options seem endless.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS