Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken processor Hampshire  (Read 5438 times)

Goodlands

• Joined Aug 2014
Chicken processor Hampshire
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:56 am »
I have about 70 meat chickens, that i would like dispatched and processed in the Hampshire area, does anyone know of a place or company that provides these services to a small holder?

Cheers in advance

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Chicken processor Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:39:26 pm »
There were a couple of threads similar to this earlier this year.

Unfortunately it appears that very few (if any) of the commercial people are interested in doing these sort of smallholder numbers.

I talked to a guy local to me who does it as a small business but he doesn't do small numbers, although he gets asked about it regularly.

he has to charge too much per bird to cover his costs, i'm sure it was £4 per chicken and £20 per turkey, i'll look for the other thread though.

Are you doing these for your own consumption?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 03:47:02 pm »
RPF also was looking but not sure how they got on.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=56578

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 07:06:51 am »
I know this isn't helpful but surely looking into this sort of thing is what you do before you rear the birds, not when they're ready to be slaughtered?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 07:38:36 am »
I found a place in Oxford, if that helps. FAI FARMS - just google for number. Say it is for I private kill and ask for chap's email as they are not the best at phoning back due to lack of phone signal on site. Think it works out at about £2.65 a chicken and £5.00 a duck.

Goodlands

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:52:31 pm »
I found a place in Oxford, if that helps. FAI FARMS - just google for number. Say it is for I private kill and ask for chap's email as they are not the best at phoning back due to lack of phone signal on site. Think it works out at about £2.65 a chicken and £5.00 a duck.

Thanks very much, that sounds very interesting

Goodlands

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:55:07 pm »
I know this isn't helpful but surely looking into this sort of thing is what you do before you rear the birds, not when they're ready to be slaughtered?

May be we used to do this ourselves and circumstance have changed, may be our normal company we used has stopped doing this service, :-J

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:54:31 am »

Thanks very much, that sounds very interesting

Have you enquired Goodlands?

Be interesting to hear if there are some places who will do it at a reasonable cost

Goodlands

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:13 pm »

Have you enquired Goodlands?

Be interesting to hear if there are some places who will do it at a reasonable cost

Have emailed them but no response as yet, will phone tomorrow.

Goodlands

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 08:54:26 am »
Quick update. No one that I have approached will do chickens for a small holder.

Does anyone know the regulations I need to follow to be able to do them myself then sale to the public from my gate?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:18 am »
Trading Standards will tell you all you need to know. It will boil down to  and ensuring you're not going to poison your customers!! I always find it odd that these things wouldn't  matter if you were giving them away ::)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »
Sorry, the words animal welfare disappeared between boil down to and ensuring!!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:30 pm »

I always find it odd that these things wouldn't  matter if you were giving them away ::)

the regulations still apply whether you sell, trade or give the product away, there is no way around it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS