Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCTV - thoughts?  (Read 8398 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: CCTV - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 12:26:14 am »
Camera arrived today, went for the Swann one and seems fine, just need to work out cables to shed now, thanks for all the input ????
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 05:56:43 am »
Take your time setting it up, don't make anything permanent until your sure its right.
Happy viewing !

Pabs63

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 12:34:35 pm »
I set up my x3 camera system and yes take your time setting it up.  I left about an extra 30 ft of cable per camera as I move them around the barn depending on the season.  Cable is cheap and so for the extra footage you can be pretty versatile.  I found you need to position the camera reasonably close.  Keep the cables as high as possible as we found that our kids are great climbers and I am sure would tug on the cables.  The other issue just to be aware of is when you are using red heat lamps as this does impact on the picture quality.  In effect its bright in a localised area.
I view my cameras on an Ipad - there is a great app called TapCMSHD. 
I watch the goats from my bed at 3am in the morning - it is amazing to see them feeding at the hay racks in the pitch dark.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 01:06:34 pm »
camera set up, almost in the rafters pointing down on the kidding pen  :thumbsup:

we've ordered extra cable and I suspect we'll be adding another camera  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »
We have the Swann wireless and it's great. Not so expensive although had to get booster so the wifi extended outside. I have App for iPhone and can see what's going on while I'm not at home. Really good system and easy to install.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
can you get ethernet cables 50m long  ???

We regularly use temporary Ethernet cables over 500m long on festival sites to support cardreaders etc...

We do cheat though and buy 1000m drums of cable and fit our own connectors as required :-D

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 12:34:25 am »
camera all set up and watching live pics from my bed  :thumbsup:

typically though, 3 of the girls kidded yesterday before we had gotten the connectors for the extension cables so now watching the kids and mums. Mums trying to rest and the kids leaping around like eejits  :excited:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 08:24:53 am »
camera all set up and watching live pics from my bed  :thumbsup:

typically though, 3 of the girls kidded yesterday before we had gotten the connectors for the extension cables so now watching the kids and mums. Mums trying to rest and the kids leaping around like eejits  :excited:

You can cancel the tv subscription now that you have reality tv of your own !

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
If you use network cable you can split the wire into 4 pairs of wires and run 4 cameras from one length
you just need to put one of these connectors on each end of each pair of cables

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-UTP-Cat5-Passive-Video-Balun-Transceiver-Connectors-For-Security-Cam-D013-/111056293575?hash=item19db788ec7
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:41:12 pm by mart6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS