Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCTV - thoughts?  (Read 8417 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
CCTV - thoughts?
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »
we are thinking about getting a camera into the kidding shed and kids shed but the sheds are 50m from the house.

what does anyone recommend? preferably mains powered
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: CCTV - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:08:17 pm »
A few years ago we bought a cheap set of cameras from ebay and installed them in our lambing shed.  The system doesn't have a hard disc as we don't need to record, only watch live.  We ran an ethernet cable from the BT router to the shed and can view the pens from our laptops or phones in the house.  It has revolutionised lambing for us.  We no longer have to go out in the freezing cold in the middle of the night but can check from the comfort of our bed!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »
can you get ethernet cables 50m long  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:39:08 pm »
You can get them up to 100m I would have thought. 

I've just installed 3 Foscam IP cams.   They are POE (power over ethernet) so no mains electric required. 

You can view them on your PC or remotely with a tablet/smart phone.   

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »
Yes, you can but be careful where you put it.  The first one we installed got chopped to bits when we forgot it was there and strimmed the bushes!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:27:49 pm »
Also the goats love to chew cables! They have chewed through mine and even worse the dopey carpenter fitted the cupboard over BT box so I can't access it to change the cable. Grrr

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:05 pm »
Yes yes yes. We have a swann HD system 9 camera capacity hd recorder and internet streaming if we want.
we have infrared cameras and can keep an eye on the kidding pens from the comfort of the settee all cabled .
We tried wi fi  and ethernet connections originally but after a couple of years we went for the swann system.
We use a spare 32" lcd tv as a monitor, presently cameras on the girls , the kids , one of the swallows nests ( still picture posted on here ) one on the drive way and two watching the chicken coops from the out side , have recorded the fox taking chickens , the badgers stealing the food  and the magpies stealing the eggs and best all is the mini camera inside the main coop, I can see when they have all gone to bed and their nocturnal antics  Apart from the convenience it affords the entertainment value is immense .

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:06:54 am »
wow Rupert they look great, wouldn;t need as many as 9 but the smaller kits look ideal, I don;t want to know what some of them are up to when I;m not there  :innocent:

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
Why not investigate a wireless system? The camera in the goat house could be powered by battery/solar panel or combination thereof, no ethernet cable or wires down the land.  :) .

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:05 am »

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »
wireless range isn't big enough I'm afraid

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 05:40:17 pm »
We have a wireless system from alarms for farms. It cost a lot of money and doesn't always work. After sales service is poor - unless you are buying an extra camera!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:57:43 pm »
exactly, thats why i don't want to spend a fortune and as long as I can use it during kidding I'm a happy camper

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »
You can get them up to 100m I would have thought. 

I've just installed 3 Foscam IP cams.   They are POE (power over ethernet) so no mains electric required. 

You can view them on your PC or remotely with a tablet/smart phone.

That's what we have. Works well, but needs electricity in goathouse (which we have). Also used to use it for lambing when lambing indoors.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »
Use cable its far more reliable my shed is well over 100m away and i have no problems.
If you do not have power in the shed there are cables that have built in power supply for camera.
If you go the network cable route (each cable has 4 pairs or cables)
Which means you can run 4 cameras off one cable length.
Price of cameras has come down loads you can get 1200tvl cameras for @£23 each
Saves you hours running up and down to shed and added security money well spent imo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:08:33 pm by mart6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS