Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting out land  (Read 3164 times)

Paula W

• Joined Jul 2015
Renting out land
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:23 am »
Hi,

We have recently bought a farm with a good few acres, and have been approached by someone who knows we moved asking to rent the land. The fences are in patchy condition and a water pipe needs to be laid from our property to the field for water.

There is about 13 acres available and he wants to put some sheep on this year. As his starting bid he suggested £400 for 9 months plus 2 lambs. I think this may be too low, but I appreciate that he will need to put electric fencing up to make it safe.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paula

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Renting out land
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:41 am »
I think that, if you're not going to use the land yourself then £400 and two lambs is a reasonable enough offer. The sheep will keep the grass down for you and fertilise the land as well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:23:42 am »
Especially if the fences aren't great. And two lambs are worth a good bit, when you take into account slaughter and butchery costs (I'm assuming they are lambs for the freezer  :) (

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:39:32 am »
A lot will have to do with the quality of the grazing and where abouts you are Also how many sheep is he wanting to put on the land ???

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:41:12 am »
If they seem reasonable people who are unlikely to cause you any trouble, I'd say go for it!  It'll be worth it just for the learning you get, and you'll get your grass mown and your own home grown lamb for the freezer without any of the hassle or expense that goes with it.  What's not to like?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:53:59 am »
Sounds good to me, Womble. Providing clear responsibilities, terms etc., are laid down from the start there should be no problems plus the experience and land management the leaser is gaining.

Paula W

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:46:23 pm »
Thanks everyone, that has been really helpful. I will have another chat with my friend and see what we can agree.  :-J

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
It's probably fine and good for the land, and I'd rather think the better of people than the worst, but if you wanted to be cautious:

Check they are insured.

Consider if you want them on the ground over winter to prevent it getting poached and give it a change of recovering. Some people also use this as a way of ensuring there's less chance for them to claim grazing/squatters rights.  And bear in mind that the longer the tenancy, the more likely they are to want to maintain it.

You may want something about any improvements that can be made, that they need your permission, and if any compensation can be made for this.  Do you want the tenant to improve the fencing, can they do it to a suitable standard, and what will they want in return?  Can they erect a shelter?  Are they expecting the water as part of the deal and a reduction for if it's not there?

If you decide to continue the arrangement, 3 years is the norm for reviews, and it's worth getting a proper tenancy agreement sorted.

Not sure if you claim any BPS for the land, but you want to make sure you keep them rather than them attempting to claim them or do activities that are not allowed (or just don't want).  And for any restrictions from any schemes the land is in 

They'll need to sort out a temporary CPH number too. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:46:11 pm by Badger Nadgers »

budharley

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 09:55:34 am »
We rent ten acres of good grazing land with a barn , it has no water on the land it costs us £700 a year

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:05:03 pm »
We were offered £100 per acre for grazing on our land, that's with new fencing. Hope this helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS