Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No one to blame but myself  (Read 4985 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
No one to blame but myself
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:21:53 am »
I have mistakenly left a gate open.....

Resulting in my billie having unlimited access to 10 female pygmy goats for the day.

If any of the girls have been serviced  :innocent:, I would ideally like to know who.

Can anyone recommend someone that can scan in the angus area.

And at what point would I scan?

And as my hubby has pointed out , it was a good job it was me that left the gate open as if it was anyone else  I would have been :rant:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: No one to blame but myself
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:14 am »
10 females! That's a lot of potential kids!!!
Sorry, I don't know anything about scanning, etc, sorry.  x

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
With a buffalo you can scan at 4 weeks, but it only becomes easy to see at 6 weeks. I would say about 4 weeks minimum. Hope this helps. How big is the Billie goat? The problem is of course that the kids might be too big. If you don't want them in kid I would suggest seperating them all and put them in a secure pen or building where he cannot get to them, or put him in a secure building, and get the vet out to give them prostaglandin. Prostaglandin brings animals into season, but it also gets rid of any unborn animal. Hope this helps.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:37 am »
Is there something the vet could prescribe for them as a form of "morning after pill"?
The answer is prostaglandin
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
Id say at this time if the year it would be unlikely that any of them would be coming into season but not impossible ,scanning goats is an art so if you do find someone can you let me know ,prostaglandin wont bring them into season untill they have natural we started to cycle !

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:13:04 am »
Goats are not buffalo. Buffalo are like cattle where scanning is done via the rectum, this means there is little between the scanner and uterus so can be done from 4 weeks with an experienced scanner. However goats, especially pygmy goats are far too small for that, so are scanned via the belly. This means the foetus needs to be much larger to detect, so sheep and goats are normally scanned from 55-90 days. You would be best to find a professional sheep scanner in the area to detect pregnancies around that time. As already suggested, goats are seasonal breeders so are unlikely to

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:27 am »
have been in season. If he is not a much bigger billy where kids could be hard to deliver, it is unlikely to be a problem. Prostaglandins are licensed to cause abortion in cattle up to 100 days of pregnancy, less reliably after this date. Again, though, goats are not buffalo or cattle and have a slightly different way of maintaining pregnancy so although sometimes prostaglandin will work, it would generally be used in combination with steroid in sheep or goats and still not guaranteed success.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:25:46 am »
The local sheep scanner has scanned my angora goats.
He got them all right except one that had only just missed a season that he said wasn't pregnant that went on to have twins.
They were scanned about new year and kidded in March.

Pygmies might be a bit small though and need a vet to scan them or a farmer with plenty of  patience.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 12:25:53 pm »
I know you scan them like sheep but I would say about maybe  a month before you could tell if there was something and not just fluid there, i may be wrong. Something else you could feed them is a lot of penny royal and raspberry leaf.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »
Goats are not buffalo. Buffalo are like cattle where scanning is done via the rectum, this means there is little between the scanner and uterus so can be done from 4 weeks with an experienced scanner. However goats, especially pygmy goats are far too small for that, so are scanned via the belly. This means the foetus needs to be much larger to detect, so sheep and goats are normally scanned from 55-90 days. You would be best to find a professional sheep scanner in the area to detect pregnancies around that time. As already suggested, goats are seasonal breeders so are unlikely to
That is the only instance in which buffaloes are like cattle.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:57:12 pm »
I would say about maybe  a month before you could tell if there was something and not just fluid there, i may be wrong.
Again I repeat, 55-90 days for scanning sheep. I am a vet, so years of training probably means I might be more correct than your googling the answers.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 02:00:16 pm »
We had a man in to scan our sheep this year and he did the goats as well.  He is based around Inverurie I think, so probably wouldn't go as far as Angus.  However, he is very good and will do small numbers so if anyone wants his contact details, let me know.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:48:15 pm »
I would say about maybe  a month before you could tell if there was something and not just fluid there, i may be wrong.
Again I repeat, 55-90 days for scanning sheep. I am a vet, so years of training probably means I might be more correct than your googling the answers.
I guessed from my experience with some species

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 05:22:12 pm »
Guessing, when you then get the answer completely wrong is worse than saying nothing.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:42 pm »
Wbf ,posting your best guesses based on experience with other species is unhelpful at best and down right dangerous at worst .on another thread you say I'm being offensive by making a tounge in cheek comment .I find a lot of the utter rubbish you post ,sometimes not even connected to the thread in question offensive ! So i guess we are quits !!! Please think before you post ,ie is what I'm about to post relevant to either the thread title or the direction the comments have gone ? If not don't post ! We all like a wee laugh and a joke sometimes but when drivel is posted and experts tel you its drivel take it as something learnt and leave it at that ,and if you don't k ow what your talking about don't post as it leads people up the garden path to confusedshire !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS