Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exciting Times....  (Read 4890 times)

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
Exciting Times....
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:41:56 am »
Well all,

We have bitten the bullet firmly and bought our own belted galloway bull who arrived with us last night.

Pics to follow I'm afraid as it was dark when we got him unloaded.

I think we've now well and truly stepped over the 'hobby' line.......

Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Exciting Times....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:01:43 am »
Now pictures of that I want to see, know nothing about the breed other than they look amazing...

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:03:59 am »
ooh, very exciting!!  pics please???  How many cows do you have?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:45 am »
Wales have an alternative to the belted Galloway, the belted welsh, I have a dear friend who keeps belted welsh. The belted Galloway is essentially bred for meat and produces nice beef ( so I have been told) a Scottish beef breed and very nice too. Is the bull quite placid?
http://www.beltedgalloways.co.uk/history-2/
This may help for anyone who wants to know about the breed
Congrats by the way! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:59:39 am »
Belties are generally very placid and certainly in our limited experience this is the case. Our bull Angus, also seems quite placid, he was when we went to see him before we got him and he seems so now ( although that may just him adjusting to the move ) - we certainly hope that he will be a gentle giant.

As well as Angus, we have a pedigree cow with this years steer calf at foot, we also have an older steer which is her calf from last year ( both destined for the freezer ) and we have a heifer due a calf very shortly.

Photo hopefully attached.

Regards

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »
Did you not have Dexters, Mark?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 04:24:10 pm »
He is a beauty isn't he?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:35:54 pm »
Did you not have Dexters, Mark?

Hi Rosemary - yeah we did have but just recently sold them so we can concentrate on the Belties. We liked the Dexters but the logistics of finding bulls / AI'ing 2 small herds was just too much for us so we hard to make a hard choice.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:03:19 am »
Hi Rosemary - yeah we did have but just recently sold them so we can concentrate on the Belties. We liked the Dexters but the logistics of finding bulls / AI'ing 2 small herds was just too much for us so we hard to make a hard choice.

Belties are fab - and a good Scottish breed  :thumbsup: I like the dun Belties. 

I would quite like a rare Scottish breed of sheep, but managing two flocks and two tups is just acomplication I could do without - so I feel your pain.  :hug:

Castlehill Farm

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Methlick
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:35:05 am »
Mark,

Now you have your own bull you must be looking for more females to make it a good financial investment?

Cheers,
Ian
Pedigree Belted Galloway cattle, Soay / soay X sheep & Boer / boer X goats

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:32 am »
I would quite like a rare Scottish breed of sheep, but managing two flocks and two tups is just acomplication I could do without - so I feel your pain.  :hug:

Castlemilks are very yummy  :yum:  ;)  - and are a rare breed ('vulnerable' - only the Boreray is more endangered), to boot.   :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:13:10 am »
Aye, we have the Castlemilk's and they are great, really low maintenance, not as flighty as the more native breeds and lovely to look at to boot.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:11:02 pm »
Castlemilks are very yummy  :yum: ;)  - and are a rare breed ('vulnerable' - only the Boreray is more endangered), to boot.   :innocent:

Aye, but I wouldn't get rid of my Ryelands and having two flocks would give me more complications than I'd like  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 12:13:51 pm »
I think we've now well and truly stepped over the 'hobby' line.......

You think?  ;D

I love Belties. Just like Zwartbles - easy to spot in both mud and snow  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS