Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: food plants for nightflying moths  (Read 4001 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
food plants for nightflying moths
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:55 am »
A bit like the nectar plants for bees thread.   Does anyone know which are good flowers to grow for moths?  Would it be the same flowers as the butterflies and bees visit in the day, or are there flowers which smell only at night, or whose colours are more visible after dark?   Moths close-up are absolutely fascinating, and there are more varieties than a normal person could possibly learn.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: food plants for nightflying moths
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:24 am »

I've just answered my own question, pretty much.  Have a look at this link for an excellent list of appropriate plants for moths, and their caterpillars:

http://www.mothscount.org/text/64/nectar_plants.html

A lot are indeed the same as for butterflies, and grass-eating caterpillars are mentioned too - think of the vast numbers of little moths which rise up when you walk in your growing hay in the evening, clearly leaving loads of eggs, or having just hatched out.

I have just about all the plants mentioned somewhere on the smallholding, so I'm delighted at that.   I must get the grandchildren to help do a moth count, later in the year when you don't have to wait til midnight for it to get dark.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:20 am »
I love to walk through my land at dusk, sometimes you seem to be walking through a carpet of moths especially the large white ones with a deep orange underside. I haven't a clue to their real name but we always called them "ghost moths"
I also love to see the bats swooping and turning like swallows to catch them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »
Lovely image  :thumbsup:

We don't seem to have many moths at the moment, maybe it's been too wet.  The big pale ones were around for a bit but none here this week.  There were some daylight flying moths in the hayfield today.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 05:56:22 pm »
We get the most beautiful tiger moths in our garden. One landed on my green hen poo bucket last week - I think,it was a scarlet tiger moth or might have been a cream spot one.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:03:42 pm »
Tiger moths are stunning  :thumbsup: 
When I was at my elder son's one day, in his sheltered garden, we saw a moth like a humming bird, hovering at the flowers with a long proboscis. 
I got a pic of a puss moth (think that's what it's called - white and woolly) on my door curtain.  If I can persuade Mr F to post it for me here I can share it.
For me the substantial moths tend to be in the garden or veg patch, and the ones out and about are smaller and delicate.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
This evening I thought there were a couple of small bats outside my window.  I went outside, where the night air was filled with a wonderful smell of honeysuckle.  The 'bats' were in fact Elephant Hawk Moths, which have about a 70mm wingspan, and are pink. I have seen these before, but not where I live now, and I have never seen the caterpillar, which has four big 'eyes' marked near it's front end.  I could hear the wings whirring before I could see the moths.  According to various sources, one of their favourite plants for nectar is honeysuckle, which is wonderful just now.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:38:44 am »
wow, that is really cool!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 07:03:16 pm »
Has anyone seen any more good moths?   The only one I've seen but haven't identified, is dark charcoal grey with an orange triangle when it opens its wings.  Very nice.

I've concluded that moths are perfectly happy feeding on the same flowers as butterflies do, although they seem to need different plants to lay their eggs on.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 03:25:59 pm »
Has anyone seen any more good moths?   The only one I've seen but haven't identified, is dark charcoal grey with an orange triangle when it opens its wings.  Very nice.

Sounds like a Red Underwing - lives in barns and woodpiles during the day.  The earlier one mentioned could be a Hummingbird Hawkmoth.  I beieve it was the Victorians that differentiated moths from butterflies based on not their nocturnal habits but their antennae.  We have a world expert living locally and he's already identified over 300 varieties around here and expects to get to 400 within the year.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:53 pm »
I grow honeysuckle in my garden and the moths love it, especially since it is very pungent in the evening. Gorgeous!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS