Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Couriers for fleece  (Read 2997 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Couriers for fleece
« on: July 07, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »
my nephew and his girlfriend have offered me some fleeces for spinning. Only problem, they are in North Yorkshire, I am in South Devon. I have looked at My Hermes, they are telling me there are no couriers for my post code! Does anyone have experience of using a reliable, countrywide not stupidly expensive courier?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Couriers for fleece
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:11 am »
Try Ravelcourier ;)

Someone from down your way is bound to be coming up for Massam / Yarndale ;)

Or if end Sept is too long to wait, someone from Yorks could be going to Fibre-East, and someone from S Devon ditto...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:11:07 am »
A good suggestion. I shall put out a request.

collielaw

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »
Hello, I'm interested to know if you found anyone?

Firstly, you're not missing out by not having a courier in your area! I used Hermes last year and was not impressed with the service or the courier who came to pick up the fleeces!

I've used parcel force and dpd in the past. Both have been brilliant service but a bit more pricey.

I'm just in the middle of looking at quotes to send this years fleeces and the best at the moment seem to be tnt or yodel?

P.s. You're not looking for any extra fleeces are you? :P

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:29 pm »
I haven't actually looked at couriers seriously yet, other things have overtaken me! Thanks for suggestions of other couriers. Nephew is coming to stay next February, so I may persuade my sister to store the fleece until then so a courier may not be necessary. I may be interested in more fleece, could you tell me what you have available?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:24:16 pm »
I think there are mixed reports about most of the couriers.  I used MyHermes a lot last year, shipping fleeces all around the country (including down from Scotland - though from further north than you, collielaw - and had no problems with them at all. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:15:49 am »
I have used Myhermes several times too and never had a problem. We now know our courier but I guess it's like every other profession, you get a mixed bag.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:22:34 am »
The problem with my Hermes appears to be their web site says there aren't any couriers for my part of the country, even though I have deliveries from them recently. I will do a bit more research and let you all know how I get on. Can't keep a girl away from some more fleece for too long! :spin:

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 09:02:35 pm »
I use royalmail and Parcelforce for larger weights.very reliable and deliver to all uk address,daily.my hermes cheaper but don't have as good pick up delivery if you are rural so takes longer.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 07:24:13 am »
I prefer RM so I can take the parcel to the PO rather than rely on courier pick ups.  They don't like my track or can't be bothered to look for me.
There's now a couple of drop off points in town so I'll try that next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS