Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broad bean shells  (Read 3293 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Broad bean shells
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:34:23 pm »
i seem to recall reading somewhere that broad beans/their shells are not goo for goats. Is this correct or did I imagine it? Neighbour has given me some but haven't fed them yet.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Broad bean shells
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:44 pm »
Never tried broad beans or shells, I've not heard that they are no good for goats. I had a neighbour who always grew too many runner beans, when they 'got away' from him he used to give me loads whole which the goats relished! At the end of the season he pulled up and gave me the runner bean plants and I threw the huge bundle into the goats paddock, the goats cleared the lot in quick order!
The only thing I didn't feed them was Brussels Sprouts, they taint the milk terribly!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »
I never tried broad beans but mine loved pea pods and relished pea hulm when the peas finished ???? :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:06:38 am »
Mine love pea and bean pods and leaves. I can't see that broad beans would be different.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »
A friend always saves her broad bean pods for the goats.
Most like them, some don't, no harm has come to any of them.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:30:20 pm »
Possibly. And it may not be goats, it may be pigs I heard about. I just remember someone chucking some in the field last year and neither pigs or goats would look at them.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:44 pm »
Isn't the toxin just in the beans not the pods.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:55:33 pm »
I know that if you don't boil them properly they (and many other types of beans) are poisonous to humans, horses and dogs, but I didn't think it was a problem for ruminants.

Gosh, I had no idea. I just ate a big pile of freshly picked broad beans two days ago, raw, as I was shelling them. I have to say I didn't notice any adverse effects.  (The pigs were not too impressed by the shells though)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS