Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New roofing  (Read 4888 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
New roofing
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:27:23 am »
We are going to re-roof our main building before the winter - it's currently roofed with onduline, which is sagging and leaking and breaking apart.

I've got quotes for doing it in fibre cement and in corrugated steel (lined to reduce condensation).  There is a huge difference in cost because the cement fibre is much heavier than the onduline that the building was designed for, so the roof timbers will have to be strengthened.

My question is about the effectiveness of the condensation-reducing lining on the steel roof - does it work? I'm tempted by the price, but don't want to regret it later if I end up with a building that is still wet on the inside.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: New roofing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 02:51:40 am »
we have had the 30 year old leaking wriggly tin roof replaced on our garage with 100 mm thick  foam sandwiched plastic coated steel 8 mtr long sheets which should last at least 30 years .
It was done in December last year ,  for the first two months we had some condensation , due to the garage drying out . But from then on it's been as dry as a bone . we did also have the door frame replaced as this was also quite rotten .

Due to the rigidity of the sheets we didn't need to add extra roof supports  but I guess that with your shed , if it is a big one you may need them as the panels are not exactly super light .

Getting the closing cappings done all round the edges , around the profile & at the back edge was very carefully done with shaped foam strips and 150 mm right angle metal skirts.

The rear end where it runs off into the gutter was plugged with the preformed foam strips , then the builders replicated the profile on some cardboard which they transferred to some UPVC  strips then cut to shape with a jigsaw and super mastic glued them on in front of the foam strips to protect them from the weather & UV .

I sealed the concrete garage floor with 5 litres of Finigans concrete sealer using a sweeping brush to apply bit once it was dry to stop not only dust but any rising damp that may happen . We also used a pump up fence sprayer to spray the walls with a further 20 litres of the  sealer on the inside of the walls as the external render is a bit suspect now it is 30 years old .

We are very satisfied with the job , it's been well done (All the joints were sealed with a 30 yr viable SIKA ( sp ?) non setting  mastic .

It has stopped the frequent water logging of the garage which started to cause problems to our washer , dryer , the freezer and all my tools and metal lathe every time it drizzled let alone rained like it has done here recently .
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:59:25 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:08:28 pm »
What is you building used for?

If it is for animals then you will probably want to go with the fibre cement but if not then the lined box profile metal should do.
My general purpose shed (for storing the tractor, tools, the odd hen, etc. has a lined metal roof, all the eaves etc are sealed.  I get no condensation at all.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:38:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies - it is for an animal shed so I will probably stick with the fibre cement option.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 08:37:06 am »
Just a quick update on this. Someone at Onduline picked up my original post and emailed me with an offer to come and assess the old roof. They did come, gave advice, and made me a very good offer on a replacement roof (mine is apparently over 20 years old, and has done well to last so long). I'm not going with an Onduline replacement but I really can't fault their customer service. It's nice to say 'well done' to a company for a change!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:29:31 pm »
That is impressive customer service!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 03:20:46 pm »
We have Onduline on our sheds and our hen houses and it's been great. Glad to hear their customer service matches the product. :thumbsup:

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:48:05 pm »
We had onduline on a stable and after a few years it began to sag. Maybe with more support it would last longer!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
We've been very pleased with the lined steel. Just watch if you have vision panels in it because you still get condensation there. I have one stable with steel but no lining and that is like standing under a shower some days so the lining makes a huge difference. Though headspace and ventilation are also important of course. 

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
We had onduline on a stable and after a few years it began to sag. Maybe with more support it would last longer!
I have a friend  who builds stables,kennels and sheds for a living.
He deals with onduline a family member had some kennels from him and i went to see them when pitched roof was built they cover it with 18mm plywood before the onduline sheets are fitted.

Next door built a large stable block and they used same technique.
Looks like it needs extra support
Think a lot of people fail to do this when installing it

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »
Yes, I was recommended to line it with plywood - trouble is, it increases the cost - not only the cost of the plywood but the labour to install it (Am not agile or brave enough to DIY roofs!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS