Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: toilet habits  (Read 7206 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: toilet habits
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:59:10 pm »
The wormer will only stay in their system for a day or two after that it will be all gone so no need to carry on poo picking, unless you want too

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
The wormer will only stay in their system for a day or two after that it will be all gone so no need to carry on poo picking, unless you want too

Not quite true as the withdrawal period is 28 days ,so at a guess id say it stays in the system for ??? You guessed it 28 days  !!;

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 08:11:31 am »
I guess sometimes it can be tricky to get the tone right with these messages.....  Yes a 28 day withdrawal will give the most thorough clean out but that is for trace levels in the meat. The GI system will be clear in a couple of days so the faeces will have most of the contamination in the first 48 hours.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
I guess sometimes it can be tricky to get the tone right with these messages.....  Yes a 28 day withdrawal will give the most thorough clean out but that is for trace levels in the meat. The GI system will be clear in a couple of days so the faeces will have most of the contamination in the first 48 hours.
[/quote

Not being picky at all just curious but do you have any proof to back up the above statement ?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:38 am »
Verdifish,  you are quite right that the supplier label date of 28 days is the best thing to follow and you are not being picky in asking. There is plenty of proof regarding how different animals excrete various drugs in the science literature and of course at the detail level this is species and even individual animal specific to specific drugs but the major pathways are consistent, I had responsibility for AH drug development in 2 major pharma companies, including work on some of these wormers so my comment was based on knowledge, but I don't have papers in front of me it is not right to imply not following the suppler label except  under Vets guidance. I was merely saying that poo picking in the first 48 hours is important, after that less so.   Maybe worth asking your vet, although they are not necessarily knowledgeable on clearance rates.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 06:42:00 pm »
but as stated previously, even the first 48 hours will cause little issue  :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS