Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: toilet habits  (Read 7200 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
toilet habits
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »
I was obviously labouring under a great misapprehension when I thought that pigs would confine their toileting to one or two areas  ::) Is there any way of encouraging them to confine it a bit. Wandering over 1.5 acres of long grass every day poo picking is not really how I want to spend my day. Any suggestions?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: toilet habits
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »
Cheaper than joining a gym, or paying for compost, surely... :roflanim: :roflanim:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:40:18 pm »
Why are you picking it up? Seems like hard work to me. Have you got a customer for it? ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:23:31 pm »
Sadly not! They go where they feel like  ::)
Do you NEED to poo pick every day? My big field is nearly 2 acres and I don't pick it - but it's rested every winter, never overstocked and copes fine  :thumbsup:
Different if you had them in a small area, but with that range I think they'll be fine (assuming you're talking about a few weaners and not a herd of fully grown pigs  ;))

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
There are 3 of them (Kune Kune weaners) but they were wormed with Dectomax when we collected them and I don't want all my earth worms to die.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:57 am »
I think your worm anxiety is a bit too serious. Not much chance of that happening.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:08:40 am »
It is a valid concern as certain classes of wormers have been shown to have a very serious impact on earth worms. I have spent years trying to improve my soil so don't want all of the good work to be undone.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:45:09 am »
OK. My first step would be not to use those types of wormer. Next would probably be not to keep pigs on the land. Depending on your soil type you could be looking at serious erosion if they clear the vegetation, followed by severe compaction. I don't think keeping pigs and soil improvement are easy bedfellows. Maybe the KKs will behave as they are supposed to and not root but I wouldn't bet on it.
If you're keeping a few pigs on a large area why worm them at all? We never worm ours and wouldn't do unless there was a problem. Routine worming was invented by the pharmaceutical companies to keep your money flowing into their coffers.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:05 am »
It is a valid concern as certain classes of wormers have been shown to have a very serious impact on earth worms.

Can you cite your authority ?

There have been several studies, and all that I have read previously indicated some effect but none were 'very serious'.

Generally it seems to be thought that in standard concentrations there is some impact to worms in burrowing ability and cocoon production.

From memory pour-ons have more impact than injectables, and I suspect your pigs were injected.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:11:55 am »
OK. My first step would be not to use those types of wormer. Next would probably be not to keep pigs on the land. Depending on your soil type you could be looking at serious erosion if they clear the vegetation, followed by severe compaction. I don't think keeping pigs and soil improvement are easy bedfellows. Maybe the KKs will behave as they are supposed to and not root but I wouldn't bet on it.
If you're keeping a few pigs on a large area why worm them at all? We never worm ours and wouldn't do unless there was a problem. Routine worming was invented by the pharmaceutical companies to keep your money flowing into their coffers.

they were wormed by the people we bought them from

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »
With the amount of land your 3 are on and the dose they got and the fact they are spreading it all over the field the earthworm population need not be worried !

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »
With the amount of land your 3 are on and the dose they got and the fact they are spreading it all over the field the earthworm population need not be worried !

I guess I'm being a bit precious huh

I have already had comments about how spoilt the girls are - but they do need cuddles and belly rubs on a regular basis throughout the day  ;D

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 02:21:26 pm »
How are the boys getting on with them ?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:23 pm »
They have taught the pigs to play tag with them but as the pigs are faster than them the boys cheat and climb the trees  :roflanim:

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 02:24:39 pm »
Like this you mean?........... :) ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS