Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abandoned eggs? Or just a blip?  (Read 2735 times)

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
Abandoned eggs? Or just a blip?
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:49 pm »
Mrs Broody, she's a Pekin Bantam, has been sitting tight on her foster-eggs for 10 days now. I've seen her off eating once or twice but the eggs were always still warm and she didn't leave them for long.
I just went out to shut the big girls in and check round, and Mrs Broody was out eating ... strangely the second time today I've seen her out eating. Her eggs were almost cold :( When I left, half an hour later, she was dithering in the doorway. I know she was going in as it was 20 past sunset ... Opinions please. Has she abandoned? Is she just having a blip? Will the eggs still be viable? This is her first brood and the other bantams refuse to go broody, as do the big girls.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Abandoned eggs? Or just a blip?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:05:51 pm »
Can you separate her so she's on her own with the eggs and nowhere to go except short distance to water and food?  I would do that tonight if possible. She may have gone off and go to sleep elsewhere in teh coop.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
She is on her own and has been since she started sitting, her food and water are very close.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »
Not much more you can do, unless the space she is in is big enough for her to sleep off the nest, in which case you could try restricting her further, but otherwise i think it's    :fc:

Good luck  :thumbsup:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:01:04 am »
Make sure the nest and Mrs broody aren't infested with mites! That could be the problem.

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 06:54:29 am »
I've just been treating *everything* for the dreaded redmite :( I've only seen a couple of the little blighters, but I think you've hit the mail on the head :( ... and that thought had crossed my mind last night

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 09:04:46 am »
Wishing you well :fc: If she does go off her eggs do you have an incubator or can you borrow one? Whereabouts are you? I have several incys  and if you are Devon way you would be welcome to a borrow.

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:05:13 am »
I am in East Sussex, but thank you for your offer. I am hoping through my local chook buddies I will be able to find an incubator or a broody. I am pleased to report Mrs Broody will on her eggs and all seems fine.  :fc: please  :fc:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:32:18 am »
Why not get a really large, deep cardboard box and put some straw in it along with food and water and then you could have her indoors and be able to lift her every now and again.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS