Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting chickens in with my goats  (Read 6646 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Putting chickens in with my goats
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:59 am »
My neighbours have a single elderly Kune Kune and their chickens choose to spend all their time in with her.  Only problem is they lay in her house and she eats the eggs ;D

Tut tut hasn't that pig read the regulations on eating animal byproducts  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 09:16:41 am »
I keep most of my chickens in the sheep field. I have put their hut in a corner of the field and just put some stock netting around it to stop the sheep getting to the hut and feeder. I have cut a small bob hole in the netting for the chickens to get in and out. We have some goats staying for a while and no problems with them.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
Thanks Jukes Mum. That's exactly what we'll do. I think the sheep are less likely to be a problem than the goats!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:38 am »
We have goats, ducks and chickens in the same area, The chicken and duck food is kept behind an electric fence raised high enough to let the birds underneath. I am lucky enough to have brick built sheds for keeping them all separate at night and they all know where they live. Water has to be in aa bucket attached to the wall to keep those mucky ducks from fouling it.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 11:29:03 am »
you could fence off part of the paddock with electric fencing, to keep the goats out, that would do the trick. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS