Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting chickens in with my goats  (Read 6644 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Putting chickens in with my goats
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:56:20 am »
We're going to move our chickens into the goat paddock from the garden, mainly because the dogs are eating too much chicken poop and also the chickens are not respectful of my newly planted seedlings. We only have a couple of old Silkies at the moment but are getting 10 more young hens shortly.

My question is, as they're going to be living with two loopy pygmy goats, what sort of housing will work best? We have an Eglu for the Silkies (brought it with from our town garden) but need to get more accommodation for the new hens.
Will the chickens move into the goat house? The goats seem to get along with birds fine, they have no problem with the crows that are always hanging about near their food and water and I've seen the occasional pheasant coming out of the goat house.
As the goats love to climb I'm guessing they'll climb on the chicken house, butt it, chew it... so I'd be interested to know what would be the best buy? I don't want the goats to hurt themselves or destroy the coop!
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Putting chickens in with my goats
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
one thing you need to be careful of is the goats stealing the chicken's food. Chicken food contains stuff that it is illegal to feed to ruminants.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:02:09 pm »
If you don't mind the cost, why not look for an Eglu cube for the newbies? Should be high enough for deterring goats I think but if they did climb, its pretty sturdy

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:46:40 pm »
Layers pellets is an absolute NO-NO for goats,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:51:21 pm »
Thanks very much.
If the goats can't eat chicken food i'll have to think again. Is it the same with sheep? We could put them in with the sheep, the only issue being that they have access to a much bigger field so I think foxes would be more of a worry.
Clydesdaleclopper - what is it that's illegal to feed to ruminants? Sound like something I need to know about.
Nutterly_uts - I'd really like an Eglu cube but they are very expensive, even previously enjoyed! Having said that, we have the original Eglu, had it for over ten years and still perfect condition. So maybe it's actually a better investment than a cheaper wooden house.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »
Is there a way of putting the Eglu just outside the goat field, where hens could come out, and either be in their own little run for when you want to contain them, (where the goats can't get to the food) with a small access hole through the goats fencing?
Can You put feeders inside the eglu?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:02:51 pm by penninehillbilly »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »
chicken feed often contains ingredients that are of animal origin and that is what you can't feed to any ruminants
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 07:06:21 pm »
Nutterly_uts - I'd really like an Eglu cube but they are very expensive, even previously enjoyed! Having said that, we have the original Eglu, had it for over ten years and still perfect condition. So maybe it's actually a better investment than a cheaper wooden house.

Exactly my argument :D They are eyewateringly expensive but once you buy them, the upkeep is next to zero and they are pretty bomb proof and cleaning is a doddle. I wouldn't increase numbers until I could afford more eglus but I know they are marmite :)

You can def attach an eglu or cube outside with a chicken only access which would def work to make it goat friendly

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:16 am »
I keep goats and chickens together in the same field and they get on well together.  The chickens have a separate house with an entrance hole which is too small for the goats to get in, so that is where I keep the chicken feeder.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:26:33 pm »
as long as you can feed seperately it should be fine, a lot of my chooks have taken to roosting in the goat shed at night but in the morning when they hear me open up the feed bin they all fly over to it so goats dont get any of the feed but then I don't buy commercial chicken feed anyway so not such a drama
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:18:47 pm »
Fiestyredhead331 - what do you feed your chickens (instead of commercial feed)?
I'd be interested to know what the alternatives are especially if it means I can put the chickens in with the goats without worrying about the goats getting the wrong food!
Thanks

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Nutterly_uts - that might be the best option, if I can convince hubby that it's cheaper/more efficient in the long run to get another Eglu and they are so good!
I like the idea of putting the Eglu on the outside of the stock fence and having a chicken-only entrance hole.
Food for thought!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:52 pm »
Most normal-sized chicken pop-holes will also be accessible to pygmies I would think. I know a lot of goat kids  can wriggle into places that everybody thought were too small for them (and then can't get out the other way again...)

Eating significant amounts of poultry food will cause goats serious bloat and often lead to death, so really need to be careful here. Esp pygmies are a lot smaller than your average dairy goat, so smaller amounts cause serious damage. However goats (and sheep! - with similar consequences) find layers pellets irresistible, so much so I had ewes barging through (mains!)electrified poultry netting to get to it.

My goats are very respectful of electric tape ( 3-4 strands), in front of a normal mesh fence, behind which are the geese. However they have never tasted poultry food. No idea if a similar system would work for pygmies.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 11:10:25 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.
It's obviously not a good idea to put the chickens in with the goats or sheep as I'll just worry all the time if they're getting their food.
However, I still have a problem in that I need to get the chickens out of the garden where their poop is irresistible to two of our three dogs, and they're digging up too many plants.
We're getting piglets shortly, I don't suppose chickens can coexist happily with Kune Kunes?
Thanks again

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
My neighbours have a single elderly Kune Kune and their chickens choose to spend all their time in with her.  Only problem is they lay in her house and she eats the eggs ;D
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS