Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can't decide on pens / layout  (Read 1783 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Can't decide on pens / layout
« on: July 03, 2015, 02:03:19 pm »
I've got about 10 breeds now in seperate nets. Most are about 10-12 birds per flock. Problem I have is that in summer the grass goes mad and shorts the nets and in winter it's a pain keeping them upright. You also get pen hopping etc. We like the nets as visually they have little impact and we don't the chicken field to end up looking like a mess.

Options are to stick as we are and manage. Or we can go for a full permanent chicken wire with electric outside which seems sensible but I have concerns about putting in a lot of time, money and infrastructure which at some point will have to be removed again. Lastly, I could put them in Heras panels but this I think would look even worse on my place. In it's favour, they are portable and have re-sale value plus probably far quicker to put up than post and wire.

The main issue is the field is steep but ideal for breeding flocks as it's out the way and the hill blocks out a lot of noise. All my flat land seems to be close to the neighbours.

At the moment I feel like I spend my life strimming back stuff to keep the nets working. I've tried DPC under the nets to keep the grass down but it only half works and again it's piling more money into the net concept. Hmmm. Getting fed up thinking about it.

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: Can't decide on pens / layout
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
When i section off for breeding/hatching eggs i use these. Easily movable. i use 10x10 and move every week(ish) or so. Have 6 different pens for 6 different lots then simply walk them forward when required. Creosote and stack when not in use. find them very hard wearing and tidy looking.

http://www.pukkapensltd.com/index.php/pen-section-partridge-release-pens/pen-sections-partridge-release-pens

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:38:46 pm »
I made my own release pen panels a few years ago at my old place-just stick bird netting over the top. They can be walked about but I found that having a system of driven in fence stakes I could cable tie them to worked best. I still have them and use them for growers but they don't work here in the winter (not much does tbh). They did look neat though and from what I've seen on Gumtree etc they are easily sold (and not permanent).

I used to run two strands of electric tape around them overnight-at 6 and 9 inches.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »
I have a similar problem. What about roundup along bottom of electric mesh? Say a few inches either side and that'll stop it earthing.
For semi permanent fencing, I've used chicken wire attached to either metal hurdle spikes or 5 ft 1.5x1.5 inch stakes. Hurdles attached by slotting through netting, stakes with zip ties. Then leaving a ft gap, run a double strand electiric fence around. Round up round bottom.  Corner strainers are either angle iron or thicker posts. By the time you've mucked around with electric poultry mesh, this goes up in about the same time. Yes, there are inherent flaws to this method, no it doesn't look as good as permanent fencing nor as taught but it goes up pretty quickly and can be moved plus it works very well. something that works and doesn't look crap.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:06:05 pm »
When i section off for breeding/hatching eggs i use these. Easily movable. i use 10x10 and move every week(ish) or so. Have 6 different pens for 6 different lots then simply walk them forward when required. Creosote and stack when not in use. find them very hard wearing and tidy looking.

http://www.pukkapensltd.com/index.php/pen-section-partridge-release-pens/pen-sections-partridge-release-pens

I do like the look of those and not wildly expensive!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS