Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for Marans in NE Scotland  (Read 3288 times)

doricdragons

• Joined Aug 2013
Looking for Marans in NE Scotland
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:52 am »
I am searching for hatching eggs or young birds from good, dark egg laying, strains of Marans, preferably black, black copper or blue copper. I have been getting hatching eggs throught the post from England and Wales but the journey through the post isn't conducive to a good hatch rate.  :(

If anyone has any please let me know.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Looking for Marans in NE Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:42:56 pm »
I am near arbroath and recently got growers from Victoria farmer.  Some of the eggs were brought here from holland, I have an many cockerels as pullets so they would be in pairs. R
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

doricdragons

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »
What colours please?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:50 pm »
Have had a look to see what I could potentially pair up but I am totally over run with cockerels, so have two choices, a cull or try to rehome. :thinking:

Would anyone like a cuckoo Marans young cockerel? Free to good home. Am sure they will be from good stock as they are from VF who clearly saw me coming :innocent:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 06:48:56 pm »
I'll have wheaten marrans growers. Brechin/arbroath.
And some Marrans crossed with sussex too.

doricdragons

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 07:25:44 am »
I have cuckoo birds already Mojocafa but I do hope that you find homes for your boys!

I might be interested in your wheaten growers Steph Hen. I am awaiting a hatch of eggs in a week, 6 copper marans and 6 wheaten, but I don't think that I will get more than 4 out of the lot.

I have left all the eggs in the incubator, just in case as the dark shells have made candling difficult. I won't know if they are wheaten or C. Black until they hatch. At least if they are wheaten I will be able to sex them early.

When will your growers be ready?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:20 am »
They are about 4, maybe 5 weeks now, (not looked at calamder) so as and when... I'm in no rush to get rid of them, thought I'd hang on and see what they look like and sell any I don't want to keep as pol. I have a couple of people lined up to buy some, so need to assess how many pullets I have out of the batch. I would really like one of your cocks as most will be related to my boy next season.
Where a outs are you?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:47:28 am »
I do apolgise but its been one of those seasons the marrans and the silkies have throne so meney Avarage 13 out of 20 a lot have gone to yorkshire this week end.

doricdragons

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 10:50:55 am »
I am near Turriff in Aberdeenshire. I contacted the man who sent me the eggs that are in my incubator and he has very kindly offered to send me some more if I pay postage, so I said yes.

If I get a bit better hatch rate (unlikely I know with posted eggs) I will be happy. I will let you know if I get some hatched from the present lot (due around 12th July) and we can take it from there. Hopefully you might have some pullets spare!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 01:43:37 pm »
No worries VF, all is fair in love and chickens. Its the chance you take when buying chicks/growers 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS