Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a dead sheep  (Read 2359 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Moving a dead sheep
« on: July 02, 2015, 08:58:04 am »
Unfortunately yesterday evening I lost a ewe to heat exhaustion. Well I assume that's what it was - I was moving them into another field and she ran off on her own. While rounding her up she suddenly collapsed and basically gave up and died, in spite of trying to revive her with cool water and encouragement. With hindsight I shouldn't have disturbed them on such a hot day, even in the evening, but you live and learn.

I've arranged for the local knacker to collect her later today but my question is about the Arams movement forms - do I just fill in the usual movement licence but stating that it's a dead sheep? I am pretty sure that's the case but would appreciate reassurance from someone who's done this before.

Am quite upset about my poor sheep  :-\

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: Moving a dead sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:30:02 am »
I'm sorry about your sheep :bouquet:

I lost one to a bizarre fence accident earlier this year, and when the fallen stock guy collected her he had all the paperwork for me, including the part for me to keep.  It wasn't the usual movement license, but instead a record of disposal.  So perhaps it'll be the same for you.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:39:59 am »
You just need a receipt from the knackerman.  And then record it in your flock book as a death.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:42 am »
Many thanks!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:48 am »
Bad luck. Hot and humid weather is a nightmare for livestock, far worse than cold (unless it's stock caught in heavy snow).  I have revived a ewe that died during shearing - she collapsed on her side and I cupped the heels of my hands together and pushed into her chest just below the brisket, roughly where I judged her heart to be, as for human CPR.  After about a minute (and much to both my and the shearer's astonishment) the nerve above her eyelid began to flicker, I carried on and after another minute she took a shallow breath.  Twenty minutes later she was back in the field and suckling her lamb.  She went to cull after weaning, though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS