Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The moment of truth  (Read 2182 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
The moment of truth
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »
on the way home it is tipping with rain, the grass cut could be in jeopardy , still its full speed home. Amazingly its dry and sunny , 8 miles makes all the difference here in Aberdeenshire.  Feed the dogs ( rather throw handful of food at them for the moment ) check the rest of the animals and it out to the tractor. The mower is already on and set, fuel and water checked before I went to work, turn the key of the 47 year old ford and it satisfyingly  purrs in to life   :thumbsup:.
And then the sky darkens..........
Its only a shower I tell my self, look its brightening up over there ,honest,  and that's  the moment , into gear pto on and away, the swallows following the mower as it sends up the bugs, the sunshine peeking through and the almost soporific hum of the mower,this is what its all about
I've been passing an old weathered fence strainer a few times as I turn and thought nothing of it until its eyes opened and followed me ! ( no its not my medication ) sitting on top and blended in with the old wood was an owl totally unperturbed .
And that I thought could not get better, that is until I got to the edge off the peat moss on the last run and in the next door field 3 large cranes ! I had to stop and watch them feeding for a while, at about 15 metres this has been the closest  I've been to one , the wing span amazing when one took off .
 It makes an old man on an almost as old tractor quite insignificant in the scheme of things .

The grass is cut, the wind is picking up and it looks like rain over night. I don't care ,The wonder of nature has made my day.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: The moment of truth
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:02:11 am »
You paint a lovely picture Rupert  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:13:19 pm »
and Aberdeenshire is one of the best places to be for that.  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:39 pm »
You paint a lovely picture Rupert  :thumbsup:

Just you wait until winter ( probably week after next !! )

The_Hawthorne_Pack

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:58 pm »
Sounds like an almost perfect day, Rupert.  I watched an owl once, as I was walking along our local river bank.  Although  I had the dogs with me, it was quite unconcerned and just lazily sailed from one fence post to the next as we caught up with it.  As far as I'm concerned, you can keep your Strictly, BGT and X Factor, I'd sooner watch the grass grow! (and the owls, egrets, etc.) :tree:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS