Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Watery' meat?  (Read 1695 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
'Watery' meat?
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:56 pm »
Hi
Just picked up pig from butcher and he said the meat was quite watery and the bones were a little brittle-any ideas? I can see what he means, it's quite squashy when you prod it with your finger, compared to what I normally get back.

Did exactly the same with this one as we have all our others, only differences have been that it was a modern breed and was hung an extra 4 or 5 days while waiting for the trichinella test to come back. Oh and he got a bit of sunburn when we first had him, only had him a month before he went but would have been raised very well by the breeder, I am 100% certain. No other problems at all just the meat is a bit odd!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: 'Watery' meat?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:13 pm »
I have a feeling this has a name, and I'm sure I read it in a book last week. .
I shall have a google :)

Edit :)
I read about PSE (pale, soft, and exudative) pork last week in a Temple Grandin book - see if this fits

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~swatland/ch9_1.htm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:04:59 pm by nutterly_uts »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:51 pm »
Is it that it hasn't set properly? That is an indication that the pig was stressed prior to slaughter.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:29:54 pm »
Looks likely, thanks both for the thoughts. It's not particularly pale but I'll have a look in the bags tomorrow to see what's happened overnight!

Don't like the thought of the poor lad being stressed, though it could be either having new pigs or no pigs next to him overnight at the abattoir (we drop off the day before) I suppose rather than anything horrible, he'd travelled a few times before and I trust the place I use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS