Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey hen attacked stag why???  (Read 1635 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Turkey hen attacked stag why???
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »
Good evening

I have had a turkey hen and stag for about 2 years and they have always got on and never had any issues between the two of them until two days ago. For some reason they both started fighting. Yesterday my turkey hen was constantly attacking my stag, he didnt retaliate either. She was grabbing hold of his head and drew quite a bit of blood. I ended up having to split them up, as he was seriously stressed and panting alot. I was bathing his head with cool water to try and cool him down and also encourging him to drink. I managed to get a little water down him.

I put them away relitivly early around half 8 (we have had a fox passing through which has taken several of my hens). It was relitivley cool in thier shed. My turkey hen seemed to have calmed down so i put them back together, and she was fine with him after that. I went to check them at around 9pm, he was still panting alot. I left him with a bowl of water, hoping he may have a drink.

Sadly when i went to let them out this morning i discovered that he had died over night. I think the extreme heat and stress got to him to much and he had a heart attack or something. Other than having a limp ( which he had had since i got him and it didnt bother him) he had been prefectly healthy.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why she would attack him. She seems to miss him, as she has not stopped shouting for him all day. I worry however if i get her another friend, she may do the same again.

Please help.

Thank you for reading

Emily

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkey hen attacked stag why???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
My turkeys have been gaping in the heat most of yesterday and all day today, despite being in well ventilated and shaded accommodation, so stress may have both caused the hen to attack and the stag to die. Although I've always found turkeys to be much more laid back than hens they may attack an ailing bird if there was another stressor in the mix, in this case high heat and humidity.

If you get another bird, whether male or female, I suggest waiting until the weather has cooled a little and then putting both into new accommodation so the hen doesn't get territorial about "her" house.  Put them in just before dusk so it gets dark before they can engage in a real spat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS