Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly kid  (Read 1580 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
poorly kid
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:44:57 pm »
I have a 10 week old male kid who has been poorly off and on over the last few weeks.  Took him to the vet each time, scouring, hunched, not eating or feeding, high temperature.  Had metacam and a/b each time .  Always picked up after each visit and ate and was one of the gang but the third time he just hasnt picked up.  I don't want to put him down if I can help it and will try hard to make him survive but ..... I can't get him to eat much and he is wasting away.  No scours, goes out with the gang and mum nibbles a little, hardly feeds from his mum.  I constantly syringe water down him, pick tasty little bramble tips, willow, anything but he just wont eat.  He is not cudding.  I hate to see him wasting away.  Do you know of anything that I can give him to make him pick up and eat.  I feel sure if he did eat he would feel bit better.  They are all such a worry and I get very paranoid!!!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: poorly kid
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »
You didn't treat him for Cocccidiosis? (Vecoxan or Baycox either drench or in milk bottle). However if he has not been treated and is getting another hit every three weeks or so, then he will at some point just give up.

But it could also be that he didn't get enough colostrum , which will make him more susceptible to all sorts, incl coccidiosis, but bacterial infections too.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:06 pm »
He has been treated for cocci.  At what point do I give up?  I know the amount of antibiotics have probably messed his immune system up.  I know he had enough colustrum as I am very full on at them feeding when they have just been born and sit up until I know they have fed enough.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:09 pm »
Sorry you're having to go through this, Maddy. Hope your boy is soon well or out of his misery.  :hug:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »
He has been treated for cocci.  At what point do I give up?  I know the amount of antibiotics have probably messed his immune system up.  I know he had enough colustrum as I am very full on at them feeding when they have just been born and sit up until I know they have fed enough.

Cocci may come back every three weeks for a few times if he has had bad hit the first time and his immune system is under strain. BUT, if he is not picking up only you  can make that decision. I have had lambs that had to be PTS after a few weeks of not picking up and repeated diarrhoea, but not kids so far. E.coli is a possible and very nasty infection, from which they quite often just not recover (even if temporary improvement).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS