Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh, what a palava  (Read 5666 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Oh, what a palava
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »
pending the arrival of our Ryelands we have our neighbours' Texels in one of our fields. The field ajoins the lane.  When cars go by the Texels take no notice at all, but when the neighbour's drives PAST to turn round in our drive and go back to the field gate with the feed the Texels start shouting and running to the gate! How the hell do they know which is the right car?
They read the registration number of course  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:02:00 pm »
They did the face test thingie on the first lambing live, they had two faces and one sheep, think it was Adam. And yes it was going for the right face

Wasn't that caricature smiley face / grumpy face? 

But it is said that they recognise individual human faces, yes, and remember them for some years too.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:53 pm »
I'm sure mine distinguish men and women.

Two friends were here for the weekend and wanted to bottle feed the lambs.

Even the very pushy tame one wouldn't take a bottle from the man but the timid one went straight to the girl.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »
Today I moved my sheep by standing in the field I wanted to move them IN to and shouting 'sheep,sheep, sheep' like when I call them with nuts,except this time I had no nuts. Ok, so they probably wanted the fresh green grass, but this is still a bit of a coup, considering this time last year I was shouting at hubby to 'come by' and sending him running across the field, which if course got us precisely nowhere.

They must have some Pavlovian response, as the call got them instantly moving in my direction.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS