Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lleyn sheep  (Read 6402 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Lleyn sheep
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:07:17 pm »
I've been offered some full mouth an a couple off broken mouth ewes for a decent price. Just wondering people's views on them? They will be put with a texel tup for ewe replacements an fat lambs heard a lot of stories about multiple births they will all be lambing outside at the beginning off April

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Lleyn sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »
If multiples are a problem don't flush them. I think Lleyn are a good ewe

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »
Love our lleyns.  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:59:50 pm »
Lovely sheep but yes, too many triplets - and worse!  :o

Don't flush before tupping but take good care of them once the tup is out ;)

On good ground everyone says they can do three lambs on grass alone - but I'm guessing your ground and climate are more like ours, and anything needs help doing three lambs on our ground.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »
Never had many problems with the Lleyn, I have gone for pedigrees, superb animals they're. My sheep have always lambed well and I have never had to flush em, you generally only get doubles and singles, it depends what stock they're from, whether they have a habit of giving triplets. I only have 2-3 ewes, which give triplets, in a year ( sometimes not even that). The meat is good and the ewes are very milky. I had a ewe lamb, lamb a single and she had enough milk for at least 2, possibly even 3. If you don't mind me asking..... are they pedigree and registered or not?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:18:22 pm »
Only got the 1 the rest are Poll Dorset and for the last 3 years triplets every time and she doesn't need any help and the lambs grow just like  twins as she is very milky! Great maternal instinct as well!!!

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »
We love our lleyns! Lovely natured, good mums, mostly ours have twins and raise them no bother. 3 sets of triplets last year from 22 ewes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:27 pm »
You guys are making me think maybe we should get some more next time we're buying in replacements...  :thinking:  Bet all ours would have triplets  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »
Choose the strain with care.  We had 20 from a top flock that mostly scanned with triplets and quads but none ever managed to raise more than twins and they were as flighty as could be - mostly only saw their tails disappearing into the distance when we went in the field.  Sold them with lambs at foot in the second year and were so glad to see the last of them.  Worst was one (in perfect condition for lambing) that had football size prolapse, vet carried out a Caesarean, she refused the lambs then jumped out of the pen as the vet left then bled out internally six hours later. 

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:42 pm »
We bought 10 as gimmer lambs 3 yrs ago, 2 got mastitis last year and had to go, one dropped dead for no apparent reason, so down to 7.  We have had no more than triplets, and once they lamb they are good mothers and very milky.  We had one who had lost a lamb and when one of the pets wandered into her pen she immediately claimed it as her own!  Most people, we have learnt, around here will lamb them indoors despite them being hardy.  We can't get near them they are so flighty so if they are having difficulty we can't help!  Must admit my usual term for them is " bloody welsh things!" (sorry no offence meant!).

We will always keep a few lleyn ewes though as what we have had great success with is using a Lleyn tup on our Texel shearings.  The lleyn lambs pop out easy being torpedo shaped and is much easier on the shearings.  In their second year they then go to a Texel tup.  So we will always keep a few Lleyn ewes so that we have replacement pure lleyn tups. THe Lleyn lambs jump up immediately they hit the floor and quickly search out the teat - great for first time Mums who are wondering what the hell's going on.

The Lleyn ewes to a Texel tup produce nice lambs, and a lleyn x texel ewe back to a texel are even better.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:08:22 pm by Old Shep »
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »
Got told off last time I talked all goofy about our lleyns ahem, hehe, so all I shall say is they are intelligent, easy to train, ours are bucket led,  great mums.

What ever breed yo decide on if you ve not had sheep before  get some that have lambed down before, first timers can be a pain in the ass lol  :wave:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »
Sorry just re read older ewes, good stuff.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 10:55:11 pm »
Just like ANY breed. . . . . good lleyns are good sheep and bad lleyns are bad sheep.

There is a lot of variation within ANY breed, but probably more so amongst very popular sheep such as lleyns.

If they have got as far as being full mouthed on a system thats similar to yours, then they should do the trick.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 11:44:24 pm »
I had lleyns and used a texel tup, lots of triplets but I never left three lambs with them once the lambs had colostrum I reared them on bottles. Lots of the ewes had extra teats that were open but had bad experience leaving triplets on so decided I wouldn't . also had one miserable ewe that had 5 lambs and tried to sit on them all !! She also had a chewed teat that had sealed from rearing lambs prior to us having her so she reared 1 lamb and I had the pleasure of the others. Lambed fairly easily and most good mum's. ????

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:06:53 am »
We have girls going this year that are at least 9 years old. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS