Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flies.... ?!?  (Read 3984 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Flies.... ?!?
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:15:07 am »
Sheared our lot on Saturday morning, and did Clik straight after (they're fell sheep so I do what I can whilst I can!). All looked great, in good condition and no flies to be seen.

Last night I went in the field to check on them all, and when they came up to me they were surrounded by flies  ??? A few were landing on their sides etc, but mostly seemed to be swarming around them. It is very warm here (currently 16 degrees) and I topped the fields two weeks ago because the grass was running away from them. There's no boggy land etc in the fields. Has anyone else noticed high numbers of flies in the last couple of days?

Do I need to be concerned about flystrike? Is this a sign that the Clik has been completely ineffective? It was a brand new bottle this year and I know I've applied enough and got a good coverage.

The sheep didn't seem overly bothered by the flies, but is there anything else I can do to keep them away? Worried that now my only option is to keep a keen eye out, and treat with Crovect once one gets infected? I wouldn't like to double dose them with the Clik, and there's little point if it's not worked anyway!

Feel like the Clik has attracted them rather than repelled them  :(

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Flies.... ?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:00 am »
At this time of year sheep other animals and flies go together!  it's the blue and green bottles you have to watch out for and we noticed that they hadn't come out yet.  We crovected our sheep last night and were surrounded before and after doing them.  Bloody awful work, but pour/spray on doesn't attract them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:47:23 am »
Doesn't matter if the flies lay, it's whether the pour-on inhibits hatching.  The humid weather will lead to an explosion in fly numbers (seen our first horse flies here too). 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:04:22 am »
Like the others have said your looking fora fly the size of a bluebottle but with green back. 

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/flies/lucilia_sericata.htm

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:11:07 am »
We were also concerned last night as one of our ewes seemed to be behaving 'oddly'. All the flock seemed 'jumpy' and 'twitchy' though. They are bucket trained but wouldn't come in so not a lot that we could do. They are roo'd and treated with Crovect. Same thing here ..... lots of flies/insects around them.

The 'bottle' flies are about here because we found a hedgehog at the weekend covered in them. :( It died despite being taken to vets. The flies around the sheep seem to be smaller ones so hoping they are just irritated by them.

They won't come in this morning either so can't have a proper look at them.  :(  Seem okay but just want to stay in the shade .... don't seem too happy about the heat and insects. Keeping a careful eye on them and hoping it cools down soon.  :fc:

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:14 am »
The flies weren't bluebottles so sounds like I'm in the clear  :thumbsup:

Glad I've not got to spend another eight hours rounding them all up just yet! Will continue to monitor them :)

Thanks all
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:05:27 am »
If they have a metallic green back they're the troublesome ones

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »
We get headflies here.  They aren't green-backed but they can be so bothersome they cause the sheep - especially the lambs - to rub their heads, often causing some bleeding.  The flies then feed on the blood.  The sheep can get so miserable with this that they lie down in reshes or a cool shaded spot, and don't feed.  So if we have a problem in one batch, we put a tiny spray of Crovect on the heads of the lambs and any ewes which have horn stubs and/or any sign of bleeding, which does stop the flies bothering them.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 10:08:01 pm »
OP can I ask about the topping of the field?

Is this to make sure it gets eaten off as opposed to too much tall grass for not enough sheep? Experiencing similar!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS